suggestion - add cell phone/sms contact info to mls and website

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
timfey-p40

suggestion - add cell phone/sms contact info to mls and website

Post by timfey-p40 »

In addition to publishing ward member email addresses (for those comfortable sharing it), it would be helpful to capture ward cell phone numbers for texting for those who are open to receiving them on mls & website - would make it much more convenient for contacting folks - see this happening with separate spreadsheets until mls accommodates this (like email address contact repositories were before being implemented into mls/ward website).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

MLS currently has "personal contact" numbers in addition to the "household" number. The current LUWS doesn't support it yet, but the next generation is in the works and it does.

As far as I know, there's no plans to flag who is open to receiving a SMS. But you could put it in the place of email.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

timfey wrote:In addition to publishing ward member email addresses (for those comfortable sharing it), it would be helpful to capture ward cell phone numbers for texting for those who are open to receiving them on mls & website - would make it much more convenient for contacting folks - see this happening with separate spreadsheets until mls accommodates this (like email address contact repositories were before being implemented into mls/ward website).
RussellHltn wrote:MLS currently has "personal contact" numbers in addition to the "household" number. The current LUWS doesn't support it yet, but the next generation is in the works and it does.

As far as I know, there's no plans to flag who is open to receiving a SMS. But you could put it in the place of email.

Welcome to the forum! In addition to RussellHltn's comment about MLS, have you looked at your ward in the Beta Directory? look at http://www.beta.lds.org, sign in (upper right) with your LDS Account, and look under "tools" for "directory." If you do a search here for "beta directory" you'll get lots of posts as we are all excited about it. I think cell phones, emails and privacy wishes have taken a huge step forward.

You are right though, even with these advances, TXT is not a feature. I also would like to see an SMS number (or just a checkbox by a TXT compatible cell phone) added with the contact info!

we should all send feedback to the developers on beta.lds.org
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

Our branch sends text reminders to those who want them. The list is maintained by the Activities chair and is definitely an "opt-in". I guess I have some reservations about including it as a feature in MLS. There is potential for abuse by lazy clerks who automatically check the approval, and if the info is available to organization heads (I assume it would be), it could spread around the ward/stake pretty fast. If someone wants to send out an alert in the branch, they have to contact the Activities chair and she controls whether it goes out or not - pretty automatic for the Branch Presidency and Relief Society/Priesthood, but a bit more control with other members of the branch.

A year ago I would have said no way, but plans with unlimited text are becoming more common so I think more members are comfortable with the technology.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

idjeeper wrote: A year ago I would have said no way, but plans with unlimited text are becoming more common so I think more members are comfortable with the technology.
I can see the value in having a ward TXT list. It is far more immediate than email and takes far less time than a phone calling tree, and is more effective:

"the Jones' basement is flooding right now, any ward member who can help please meet at 102 South Main, ASAP, with buckets, mops, and wet-dry vacuums. We are moving their furniture too, bring a friend!"

Or, not so dramatic:
"Young men, see you at the church-house for our activity tonight at 7pm."

The challenge would be to keep it "opt in," free to the users, updated, and spam to a minimum.

My wife was once asked why she didn't remind a family of a primary activity that their kids really wanted to attend. It was in the Sunday bulletin for three weeks, and on the ward calendar for months before...announced in primary with a reminder note given to the kids the Sunday before...

But with all that, if we don't remember it today, when the thing is happening, we miss it. Yes, we would all like to get that personal reminder phone call, but the time it takes a leader to do that can be staggering. Maybe TXT?
braagard

SMS TXT E-mail to TXT Suggestion

Post by braagard »

I would suggest a 3rd box per each individual that allows you to put one of the following:
  • Texting phone #
  • E-mail to texting contact (10-digit # @vtext.com or other provider)
This would easily show if the person “opted in”

Secondly I would like to have a way to create different groups based on contact method. E-mail to text is easy cause then all can be handled by e-mail out. But if text only then you would need to be able to have different text groups.

Thirdly I really need the ability to create contact groups in my organization. How do we get a PEC contact group? How do we get a Elders Quorom Basket ball group. Texting all these people each week is a chore and way easier to do in a group.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

kisaac wrote:...have you looked at your ward in the Beta Directory? look at http://www.beta.lds.org, sign in (upper right) with your LDS Account, and look under "tools" for "directory." If you do a search here for "beta directory" you'll get lots of posts as we are all excited about it. I think cell phones, emails and privacy wishes have taken a huge step forward.

...we should all send feedback to the developers on beta.lds.org
?? When I try to go to beta.lds.org, I am redirected to lds.org. Searching for beta directory doesn't come up with anything. Is there another link that would take us to the Beta site? I would love to see what's on the horizon!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

davesudweeks wrote:?? When I try to go to beta.lds.org, I am redirected to lds.org. Searching for beta directory doesn't come up with anything. Is there another link that would take us to the Beta site? I would love to see what's on the horizon!
Note that the post you quoted is from over 8 months ago. Back then, what is now lds.org was still in beta. But now what was once beta.lds.org is the new lds.org.

So I'm sorry to disappoint you, but there is no beta.lds.org with any hints as to what is on the horizon -- at least for now. The beta URL could get revived at some point for future development, but there is no hint of that happening any time soon.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”