Father's name not shown

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lorraine1950

Father's name not shown

Post by lorraine1950 »

I've done a search and found that this has come up several times. There have been some suggestions made, but apparently nothing has yet been done to fix the problem. The problem is this:
On the membership validation report missing father's names are shown as errors, clicking the ignore removes the error from the list, but not permanently. After an audit, or if the record is moved to another unit, the error reappears.
However, there are members who either 1) don't know who their father is or 2) know who their father is, but don't want that shown on Church records or 3) member don't, but priesthood leaders do know who the father is, but don't want the name shown on the member's records. Reasons for these situations should be pretty apparent.

Suggestion:
1) establish a code the MLS system will recognize that will keep this error from reappearing, and will leave the father's name field off the printed record. Perhaps this could be something like *name not given* or <not provided> or whatever. OR
2) create a popup on the membership validation report that appears when the ignore is clicked giving a choice between temporary and permanent ignore, with permanent ignore removing the error from the mvr and the father's name field from the printed record.

I realize that Church records are legal records, but when the birth certificate shows no father's name, our records should be able to reflect that without constantly having to bring up a really sensitive subject to the member every time there's an audit or the record moves to a new unit.

Please, can someone much smarter than me work out a fix for this??

edit: I found a reply on another thread indicating that this forum is not the place to make suggestions for improving MLS. It had a link to CHQ MLS Support, so I emailed this to them. We'll see what happens.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

E&LDow wrote:I've done a search and found that this has come up several times.
Yes, it has been mentioned in the following threads:
I have also made sure that it is on the MLS: Feedback and Suggestions page on the wiki.

I don't think there is much point in rehashing the issue on this forum. You might consider sending your suggestion directly to Local Unit Support.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lorraine1950

Post by lorraine1950 »

Thanks, Alan. I found that on another thread, and did send it to Church HQ LUS.

Return to “Membership Help”