Highlights and annotations data

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
simzz

Highlights and annotations data

Post by simzz »

I have a question for the developers...Is there a way to save/export/retain my highlights and annotations. I would like to use this app as my "production" version of the scriptures, but each time I upgrade this app, this data disappears. I have searched the SD Card, and I cannot find any such file in Gospel Library where it stores this info. Am I correct in assuming that every time a user upgrades versions, they lose all their notes and highlights?

I work in IT and would be happy to help contribute to a solution, but would like more info first. Also, I recently compiled all my scriptures coming from Yanceyware after 9 years, and put them in a .csv file. I feel that we need some way of transferring this type of info from one digital scripture to another (a standard, if you will).

Please let me know your thoughts and anything I can do to help.

Thank you,
John
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

simzz wrote:Also, I recently compiled all my scriptures coming from Yanceyware after 9 years, and put them in a .csv file.
One of the "competitors" to Gospel Library is Reveal which runs on Yanceyware documents. You may want to give it a try.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
simzz

Post by simzz »

Yes, I use Reveal as well. I have even spoken to developer.
But it does not carry forward highlights and annotations from Yanceyware.

The bigger issue is that any scripture reader should in my opinion have some way of storing this valuable data. It gets to the point where I am reading and I think "This is a great scripture, I think I'll highlight it---oh, wait, if I flash to a new ROM next week, I'll lose that highlight or annotation forever...why bother?"

Like I said, I would be happy to help out. Does anyone know where on the storage card this data is stored?
simzz

Where is it stored?

Post by simzz »

Does anyone know where/how annotations are stored? I have looked in the folder on the SD card and cannot figure it out.
There must be a way to find this out.
Anyone?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

simzz wrote:Does anyone know where/how annotations are stored? I have looked in the folder on the SD card and cannot figure it out.
There must be a way to find this out.
Anyone?
Can you add an annotation and then look to see which files have changed in the last few minutes?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Are you sure it's on the SD card? It could be in the phone's memory.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
simzz

Post by simzz »

OK, thanks for the suggestions.
Here is what I have come up with so far...

There is a .db file located in the onboard storage (not the SD card) at the following path: /data/data/org.lds.ldssa/databases/ldssa.db

The good news: I successfully added a row to this sqlite db database file manually and was able to see the verse with a blue highlight and an annotation!

The bad news: Even though I have all my highlight/annotations data saved in Excel/csv, it will be a pain and a half to manually add them one by one to a sqlite database with my limited knowledge of sqlite. I can do it, but it will not really benefit the community. I would like to find a smooth process to help others eventually migrate and retain this valuable data.

Does anyone know of a way to bulk load rows into a sqlite database (.db) file?

Additional note: I would strongly encourage the developers to save the ldssa.db file to the card rather than onboard storage (or at least give the user the option. Or maybe cloud-sync or something like that). This would enable to upgrade every time a new version comes out -- or flash a new rom, or get a new phone-- without losing all their data. I am going to save a backup of my new ldssa.db file and treat it like gold.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

simzz wrote: The bad news: Even though I have all my highlight/annotations data saved in Excel/csv, it will be a pain and a half to manually add them one by one to a sqlite database with my limited knowledge of sqlite. I can do it, but it will not really benefit the community. I would like to find a smooth process to help others eventually migrate and retain this valuable data.

Does anyone know of a way to bulk load rows into a sqlite database (.db) file?
One thing I have done when I have a Excel file of the data is to write a formula that builds insert sql statements for each row. Then I can copy them into my sql editor and bulk run those statements.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

simzz wrote:There is a .db file located in the onboard storage (not the SD card) at the following path: /data/data/org.lds.ldssa/databases/ldssa.db

The good news: I successfully added a row to this sqlite db database file manually and was able to see the verse with a blue highlight and an annotation!

Sounds like you have a rooted phone so the security is bypassed. I don't believe this folder is available to users directly on non-modified Androids, except through the apps themselves.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I must be missing something. The only function I see in this app is "Bookmarks". Where is the annotations and highlighting? Or is that just in a beta version not in "Market"?

Return to “Android Gospel Library”