Stop Payment

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wrigjef

Stop Payment

Post by wrigjef »

What is the process to ensure stop payment on a check is in place? This check was written from the other category. It could be as simple as voiding in MLS and that triggering whatever needs to happen but I want to be sure so I ask the experts.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:What is the process to ensure stop payment on a check is in place? This check was written from the other category. It could be as simple as voiding in MLS and that triggering whatever needs to happen but I want to be sure so I ask the experts.
The wiki article Outstanding checks explains every option and detail involved in voiding a check.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Alan_Brown wrote:The wiki article Outstanding checks explains every option and detail involved in voiding a check.
will voiding a check serve as an immediate "stop payment"? Actually if I were to call the church financial dept and gave them my name and unit number (I am at work not near MLS) would they be able to look up the check on our MLS and do what is needed to stop payment. The stake president just called and said a bus did not show up for youth conference, he wants me to make sure that the bus company can not cash the check we issued them. If this is possible do you have the phone number handy?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:will voiding a check serve as an immediate "stop payment"? Actually if I were to call the church financial dept and gave them my name and unit number (I am at work not near MLS) would they be able to look up the check on our MLS and do what is needed to stop payment. The stake president just called and said a bus did not show up for youth conference, he wants me to make sure that the bus company can not cash the check we issued them. If this is possible do you have the phone number handy?
You can reach Local Unit Support at 1-800-453-3860, extension 23500. If you want to make sure that a stop payment order is issued, you should call them. They can look up the check (assuming you transmitted it from MLS). Also, they can do a stop payment immediately, which sounds like it would be helpful since you won't be able to get to MLS right away.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

wrigjef wrote:will voiding a check serve as an immediate "stop payment"? Actually if I were to call the church financial dept and gave them my name and unit number (I am at work not near MLS) would they be able to look up the check on our MLS and do what is needed to stop payment. The stake president just called and said a bus did not show up for youth conference, he wants me to make sure that the bus company can not cash the check we issued them. If this is possible do you have the phone number handy?
It is best to call first to make sure the check hasn't cleared since the last statement before voiding it in MLS. If it hasn't, have them issue a stop payment before you void. If you don't, you run the risk, although rare, of voiding a check that has already cleared. Then you have to deal with unvoiding a check. See here for how fun it is.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Alan_Brown wrote:You can reach Local Unit Support at 1-800-453-3860, extension 23500. If you want to make sure that a stop payment order is issued, you should call them. They can look up the check (assuming you transmitted it from MLS). Also, they can do a stop payment immediately, which sounds like it would be helpful since you won't be able to get to MLS right away.
Thanks, This worked out well. I called and took care of it like I had promised the Stake president and did not even have to go into the church (until later when I still have to void it in the local MLS). I was told that the check had not cleared yet so their voiding it should take care of the immediate issue and my voiding it later in MLS will take care of the reconcilliation.
Thanks for all of your help. This forum is an incredible resource.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”