Who can set apart a Ward Clerk?

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
hooson

Who can set apart a Ward Clerk?

Post by hooson »

Book 1 of the CHI, current edition, states that a Ward Clerk is set apart by a member of the Stake Presidency.

One of the counsellors in our Stake Presidency - recently called - has inherited a CHI which has a handwritten note in the margin stating that an official letter dated 23 May 2009 stated that Ward Clerks may now be set apart by a member of the High Council if assigned by a member of the Stake Presidency.

We haven't been able to verify this anywhere - can anyone confirm? Better yet, is there a way of viewing the letter itself?

Thanks in advance.
Hyde Park Ward
London England Hyde Park Stake
Stake Clerk
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

hooson wrote: Better yet, is there a way of viewing the letter itself?

Thanks in advance.
Look at the Official Communications Library. See here for more info on how to log in.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

hooson wrote:One of the counsellors in our Stake Presidency - recently called - has inherited a CHI which has a handwritten note in the margin stating that an official letter dated 23 May 2009 stated that Ward Clerks may now be set apart by a member of the High Council if assigned by a member of the Stake Presidency.
I don't want to get into a discussion of the particular policy. But I would note that I don't think that handwritten note gets the policy quite right -- and that the letter is dated 23 May 2007 (not 2009). Your stake president can access the OCL as Ryan noted, and get the correct details.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I know in my stake ward clerks change so often that the presidency has instructed the bishopric to set the ward clerk apart. I cannot provide a policy reference for that, however.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

crislapi wrote:I know in my stake ward clerks change so often that the presidency has instructed the bishopric to set the ward clerk apart. I cannot provide a policy reference for that, however.
hmmm… not sure about that one!?
greenwoodkl

Assistant Ward Clerks

Post by greenwoodkl »

I won't go into specifics, but the policy letter in question relates to Assistant Ward Clerks, NOT Ward Clerks.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

dannykos wrote:hmmm… not sure about that one!?

Perhaps a clarification. Names for all clerks are cleared through the stake. As for who sets them apart, the Stake President has delegated that to the bishopric. If that is incorrect, however, someone please provide a reference I can share with the stake presidency to correct this.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

crislapi wrote:Perhaps a clarification. Names for all clerks are cleared through the stake. As for who sets them apart, the Stake President has delegated that to the bishopric. If that is incorrect, however, someone please provide a reference I can share with the stake presidency to correct this.
You may wish to refer them to page 53 of the CHI. Although the letter makes a minor update to the Handbook, it does not change the fact that the stake calls and sets apart a ward clerk or assistant ward clerk.

If the stake president feels a need to delegate this function to the bishopric, he may wish to visit with his Area Authority first.
Eric Werny-p40

I Smell Smoke

Post by Eric Werny-p40 »

I Smell Smoke coming out of your Stake Presidents office.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Eric Werny wrote:I Smell Smoke coming out of your Stake Presidents office.
Doubt it. Section 89. [grin]

Seriously, if the stake president asked me to do something, and I did not think I had the authority to do it, I would ask him and tell him my concerns. Then, if he still wanted me to do it, I would.

But, I would do all of my asking and counseling in private.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”