feedback / requests

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
kditty-p40

feedback / requests

Post by kditty-p40 »

I guess it is possible this is currently available and i am just missing it, but i don't think that is the case.

I would like to request "set apart" and "date sustained" be added as a queryable field in custom reports. We can use this to easily find members sustained and not set apart, and we would also like to be able to run a quick report that shows members with callings over 2 years. yes, yes, i know i could export some data in excel, etc, etc. My bishop likes to just have me create the reports, and he runs when he wants to.

I have been working on getting as many callings over to standard positions as possible. Why is librarian not a standard position?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

kditty wrote: I have been working on getting as many callings over to standard positions as possible. Why is librarian not a standard position?
Librarian is a standard position under the Sunday School.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

kditty wrote:I guess it is possible this is currently available and i am just missing it, but i don't think that is the case.

I would like to request "set apart" and "date sustained" be added as a queryable field in custom reports.
I think you are right, you cannot make the custom report you want that shows a "sustained but not yet set apart" member in custom reports as you cannot separate the "sustained / set apart" variable. You may wish to submit that as feedback within MLS.

But do you need it? Just show your bishop how to access the "Members with callings" report (Organizations menu - click "more," -Select "Reports / Tools," Then select "members with callings.") Show him how to sort the columns. As discussed in this post, and quoted here.

Pull up your "members with callings" report, and while its on the screen (don't print yet) play around with the sorting by clicking on the column headings. Try sorting first by "date sustained," getting it to display from most recent to oldest, then by the "set apart" column. You should get a listing of those recently sustained but not set apart. This is the report you want, but you will only need the first page or two.
And if you want the report of who has been in callings over two years, this is also the report that will allow you to sort those with callings based on the date of their sustaining. "Oldest to newest" sustained should give you what you want if your bishop wants to see those in callings over two years. When you finish your sorting, you can preview and print...No "custom reports" needed, and only export to spreadsheets if you want further reporting or analysis.

Note: For those who's leaders like to "do it themselves" on MLS.... they may not know the following secret, and showing them could make your life easier...
While the "members with callings" report initially pulls a list that is sorted by name, these and most other MLS "reports" screens are not a static print-out, but a database listing that allows you to perform primary and sometimes secondary sorts of your data by clicking on the columns and structuring the data before you print.

The procedure above uses "sustained" as the primary sort, (select the column once and it is sorted by "oldest sustained date," and selecting it again toggles it to sort by "most recently sustained." The "set apart" is the secondary sort. Thus, you can get the listing of those most recently sustained, but not set apart yet. It's really very simple, and somewhat powerful once you start to use it. Just don't look in MLS help to find out about this...It's like a secret! This can be powerful.. Try it on your home teaching report to find out the name of the member that has been home taught the least in the past year...and go visit them!

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”