The Mormon Channel Project

Discuss the feature articles on the Tech Home Page.
MayaML

Post by MayaML »

I just PMed with my friends son, working with nokia ... you CAN listen well LDSradio at least with Nokia N900 and he said that you can stream it in with adress with almost any cellphone. So all you need is to tell everyone of the possibility. Ofcourse using internett is probably more expencive. Also the problem may be that in each European country you need an internett connection from that country or it gets really expencive if you are out of country. Like if someone calls me from Finland to my Norwegean cell it goes first to Norway and returns to Finland and I pay 50%. If someone calls me from Norway I pay 50% = call from Norway to Finland... which itself is more expencive than if you call inside Norway. I suppose prices in USA dont change as you across over to an other state? EU should take care of such things but they only fight about which country is allowed to have some cows and which is allowed to hide some corn in dirt and who is to have forest... :mad:
MayaML

Post by MayaML »

I think we need to advertise better how to listen to LDS radio in different countries in Europe... There really should not be any problems as the price for internett on cellphones is some 9$ a month, which is not that much if one uses the phone or what ever for that.
The only problem I meet is that as I am not "official" channel to tell people about this so no one taks me seriosly. Should go trough bishops I suppose. :o
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

It is possible they are working on the Nokia issue, as it does not require an app to put the bare stream onto them, unless that is a general streaming audio app that takes most things anyway.

I did learn of several years ago, and sent links to the service Nokia has for its phones, about 30 models, comes on some but has to be downloaded for others, that is a directory and broadcasters submit certain information, partly because they want their application to represent legitimate broadcasters, to be included and that is what it generally takes to stream anyway, along with some other stuff they need for the app, where one can look through the directory and find the station you want. Took a while to find it for sure but once I did I emailed it into them at HQ, so they would know what could be done and how.

But yes, a list of how to stream on various other handsets would be useful. We have the big four covered, the Microsoft phones were discontinued last week and they'll be working more on the Windows Mobile platform and not a specific device now,
MayaML

Post by MayaML »

Just a thing to think about: Yesterday the misionaries asked me to be with to teach a lady. She is from Iran and is persian (I think you say it). When stil in her own country she started to listen to a German channel that was sending christian religion program in persian. She become a christian, her parents say religion is her choise (they are muslims). That was some 15 years ago. She moved to Turky and has now been here for some time. She did not like the lutheran church here, as the people were not nice to her. There is some language problems, she is not that good in Norwegean and she do not know English.
Her sister will become christian next week (lutheran) ... she was also interested in LDS, but misionaries did not meet her before last week. I am afraid the lutherans may get ugly ....
So anyway what I want to say is that not everyone can find LDS streaming on the internett, but anyone can suddenly find a religious radio or tv station on air.... youtube is good too to introduce an internett radio, almost every younger person is on youtube anyway ....
Just toughts...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You are aware of church's YouTube channel Mormon Messages?

There is also Music and the Spoken Word
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
MayaML

Post by MayaML »

Yep those are really good! Have translated a few in to Finnish... probably need more laguages...
emckirdy

Post by emckirdy »

I have had the Mormon Channel app installed on my iPhone, but didn't really use it seriously until this past weekend, when I was traveling a lot and still wanted to hear General Conference. The app proved magnificent, and I seemed to recall in the past I could only use it when connected through WiFi, and this weekend I was able to stream in via 3G as well. Perfect.

However, as I have continued using it extensively all this week, I'm noticing the app is a MAJOR battery hog, especially compared to the Pandora and Live365 apps I also use regularly. In addition, the Mormon Channel app really heats up the iPhone - literally - far more than Pandora or Live365. I'm curious what makes the Mormon Channel app different, since I would think streaming is streaming, right?
emckirdy

Post by emckirdy »

Last week, my family and I drove down to San Jose to see my wife's family. For a good portion of the journey and back, I was able to stream Mormon Channel radio via the iPhone, and pass it through to the stereo in the car. I appreciated the service before, but I REALLY love it now. I've put the battery usage issues behind me, because I don't care. It's worth draining the battery.

My next question: what group at the Church is responsible for the content and programming of the channel? Can outsiders contribute in any meaningful way? This is a project I could really get behind.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

The battery issue is caused by what on desktop PCs is often referred to as CPU usage or some other terms. Because of the resources the app requires from the phone itself, it is causing the drain on the battery. However, these issues can be resolved through programming, and often an early version will use more resources than a later version of the same program does.

I see this a lot in audio and video production software. An exception to this was when CS5 came out and it ate up resources so much so that we had to fall back to CS4 temporarily.

And that was due to all the new features.
emckirdy

Post by emckirdy »

I understand the reasons behind the usage; I was just really surprised that similar apps such as Pandora and Live365 didn't have the same power requirements to perform essentially the same functions. But like I said today, I'm completely sold on the app (not to mention the service it provides), and I will leave my phone plugged in all day long if that's what is necessary.

Return to “Featured Article Discussions”