Lost baptismal records and no one knows the date

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mikewatchman

Lost baptismal records and no one knows the date

Post by mikewatchman »

I have a 10 year old boy that was baptized when he was 8. I have confirmed it with his mother and the person who baptized him. Does he need to be baptized again as we don't know the date? Thanks
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mikewatchman wrote:I have a 10 year old boy that was baptized when he was 8. I have confirmed it with his mother and the person who baptized him. Does he need to be baptized again as we don't know the date? Thanks
The short answer is no.

Follow the instructions in the Handbook (p. 31) to verify that the ordinance was performed. You already said they do not know the date, so they probably do not have a certificate.

The next step will be to try and obtain the testimony of two witnesses to the ordinance. It sounds as if the person who baptized him and the mother might be the ones who will be able to do this.

You will find in the Handbook that you do not need the exact date of the ordinance. When the bishop is satisfied with the testimony he is provided, he may authorize a clerk to record the baptism.

If all that fails, the ordinance will need to be performed again. But, in this case as you have described it, that probably will not be necessary.
pzells

How do you record the baptism in MLS w/o date?

Post by pzells »

MLS requires a date to record the baptism. What do you do - approximate the date in MLS?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

pze wrote:MLS requires a date to record the baptism. What do you do - approximate the date in MLS?

You will at least have the year. If MLS will not accept only the year (I have not tried but would not be surprised), then use the special membership request function, provide the details with as much information as you have, and let Church Headquarters update the record.

You will probably have to do this anyway, since the young man is now 10 years old. MLS will not let you record a baptism if the member is over 8.

Return to “Membership Help”