how to assign a less active Priest as Elders Quorum Secratary in MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
KenRichins

how to assign a less active Priest as Elders Quorum Secratary in MLS

Post by KenRichins »

We have a less active Priest hat has been called as the Secretary for the Elders Quorum. I can NOT find a way to assign a Priest as the Elders Quorum Secratary. Can some one show me the steps neccesary to make this assignment in MLS?
Thanks
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

KenRichins wrote:We have a less active Priest hat has been called as the Secretary for the Elders Quorum. I can NOT find a way to assign a Priest as the Elders Quorum Secratary. Can some one show me the steps neccesary to make this assignment in MLS?
The first step is to add the priest to the Elders Quorum organization. To do this in MLS:
  1. Go to Organizations > Elders
  2. In the Members section, click the blue Add Member link
  3. Select the priest (check the box to the left of his name) and click Save.
Now that he is a member of the organization, you can add him to the calling:
  1. In the Leadership Callings section, click Add Position (or if there is an existing secretary, click the "Elders Quorum Secretary" link).
  2. Click the Select button under Person Being Called.
  3. In the Select Candidate dialog, make sure you change the Office dropdown to "All" so that you will see the priest's name listed.
  4. Select the priest's name and click Save.
  5. Finish filling out the rest of the calling information and click Save.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jglanfield

Post by jglanfield »

I have a question:

The handbook is ambiguous on the topic of whether a prospective elder can serve as EQ quorum secretary. Is there anyone who has found direction somewhere that makes it clear that such is allowed?
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

jglanfield wrote:I have a question:

The handbook is ambiguous on the topic of whether a prospective elder can serve as EQ quorum secretary. Is there anyone who has found direction somewhere that makes it clear that such is allowed?
It is really beyond the scope of this forum to address such policy matters. The fact is, there is a way in MLS to assign/show a prospective elder as the elder's quorum secretary, and a previous post explained how to accomplish this.

WHETHER this should be happening in the first place is a policy matter, and that is a decision that should be made by your local priesthood leadership after their careful review of the handbook, prayer, and consultation with appropriate priesthood leadership (i.e. bishop, stake president, area authority seventy, etc.) as needed.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

Book 2 of the Handbook says that Prospective Elders can serve as Assistant Quorum Secretaries and on committees. We, as a branch presidency, went through this today and this is the only statement we could find. Our Stake Presidency concurred that only Melchizedek Priesthood holders can be called as Secretary. MLS will allow anyone to be assigned to the calling who is in the quorum, but this is the way we interpret the instruction.
williamjackson

Re: how to assign a less active Priest as Elders Quorum Secr

Post by williamjackson »

I am going to dig up this old thread because I am trying to add a prospective elder as an Elders Quorum Assistant Secretary in MLS but I can't do it.

The brother in question is a member of the quorum; he shows up in the list of members in MLS. But when I select a name for the calling, he is not in the list of available names. I can only filter the list by the offices "Elder", "High Priest", and "All". This brother is a priest so he shows in none of those lists.

Can anyone else add a prospective elder as an Assistant Secretary in the Elders Quorum?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

williamjackson wrote:I am going to dig up this old thread because I am trying to add a prospective elder as an Elders Quorum Assistant Secretary in MLS but I can't do it. ... Can anyone else add a prospective elder as an Assistant Secretary in the Elders Quorum?
Not right now. I just looked at the current position rules in MLS and the Elders Quorum Assistant Secretary is coded to require an elder. I'll send it up to the appropriate person for review so that we can correct it. I'm not sure if the fix will make it into MLS 3.7.0 -- we're in the last stages of getting it ready for release on Friday.
williamjackson

Post by williamjackson »

Thank you for confirming that I wasn't overlooking anything. In this case I want to record the calling so I am going to use a custom calling until this is fixed.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

We're going to go ahead with this and it will be in MLS 3.7.0 when it is released this Friday.
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

Ordain him an elder. Problem solved.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”