Hibernate and MLS transmissions

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Gutknecht

Hibernate and MLS transmissions

Post by Gutknecht »

Had a service call on a computer with intermittent problems sending with MLS. They reported MLS would not transmit unless they reboot. We later discovered they were not shutting down but using the Hibernate feature. If you Hibernate a system, MLS will NOT transmit (at least via modem as they do not have Internet). I'm assuming it has something to do with either MLS not reloading properly from memory or possibly the modem driver... Anyone that may have a solution, I'm all ears. Thanks.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Gutknecht wrote:Had a service call on a computer with intermittent problems sending with MLS. They reported MLS would not transmit unless they reboot. We later discovered they were not shutting down but using the Hibernate feature. If you Hibernate a system, MLS will NOT transmit (at least via modem as they do not have Internet). I'm assuming it has something to do with either MLS not reloading properly from memory or possibly the modem driver... Anyone that may have a solution, I'm all ears. Thanks.
Leaving the computer in Hibernate mode still leave power on the computer, which would be fire hazard and should be avoided. The resolution to this problem is to tell the ward to shut down completely when they're finished with the computer.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Gutknecht wrote:...or possibly the modem driver
This is not uncommon with hibernation. There are many modems out there that don't wake up properly.

I really don't see the need to use hibernation as an alternative to shutting it down. Granted, it may save a couple of minutes in the bootup process, but how much time has been spent already trying to resolve the problem it appears to be causing?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

techgy wrote:Leaving the computer in Hibernate mode still leave power on the computer, which would be fire hazard and should be avoided.
This is incorrect. Hibernation saves the state of the computer to a file on the hard drive and then shuts down. It is as powered off as it would be if you had shut down normally.

That being said, knowing Windows XP and MLS, I'm with everyone else in that it's probably just as well to actually shut down and reboot.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

oregonmatt wrote:This is incorrect. Hibernation saves the state of the computer to a file on the hard drive and then shuts down. It is as powered off as it would be if you had shut down normally.

That being said, knowing Windows XP and MLS, I'm with everyone else in that it's probably just as well to actually shut down and reboot.
Thanks for the correction. However, using hibernation is still a risk. I've had reports where - following going into hibernation - a computer will come out on it's own. This can be caused by a scheduled event that wasn't noticed, or being connected to a LAN where a signal was received to bring the PC back to life.

I much prefer to have a PC shutdown completely and turned off when I leave the office.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

techgy wrote:I much prefer to have a PC shutdown completely and turned off when I leave the office.
We've been instructed to turn off the power strip when leaving (that is, of course, after shutting down properly). I believe the PC would be hard-pressed to turn itself back on after doing so. ;)
nbllds-p40

Post by nbllds-p40 »

techgy wrote:I've had reports where - following going into hibernation - a computer will come out on it's own. This can be caused by a scheduled event that wasn't noticed, or being connected to a LAN where a signal was received to bring the PC back to life.
Perhaps you are referring to putting the computer in the Standby state. In that case, power isn't completely removed like you mentioned earlier, and can accept a command to turn on. I'm not aware of a way to command a computer to turn on when it's in hibernation.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nbllds wrote:I'm not aware of a way to command a computer to turn on when it's in hibernation.
I'm sure "wake on LAN" could do it unless the feature has been disabled or power removed. However, normal network activity won't wake it up like it will in standby.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

oregonmatt wrote:This is incorrect. Hibernation saves the state of the computer to a file on the hard drive and then shuts down. It is as powered off as it would be if you had shut down normally.
Well, both you and techgy are correct actually. It all depends. I read this article from PC World 2 years back about a BIOS setting that Windows uses which can change how your computer hibernates (I am linking you directly to page 2 of the article with the following link; read the first section entitled "Save as Your PC Sleeps"):

http://www.pcworld.com/article/137328-2 ... costs.html

After reading the entirety of that section of the article, you learn there is a BIOS setting called ACPI Suspend Type/State which you can assign a value S1 or S3. S1 actually keeps RAM and CPU powered up still. S3 is more of a full shutdown. I changed my laptop/desktop to S3 to conserve battery/power. The BIOS on some machines don't have the setting as a configuration option, and it appears that (as of 2 years ago) S1 was the common default setting.
nbllds wrote:Perhaps you are referring to putting the computer in the Standby state. In that case, power isn't completely removed like you mentioned earlier, and can accept a command to turn on. I'm not aware of a way to command a computer to turn on when it's in hibernation.
As RussellHltn mentioned and also the article I linked to, there are ways to wake out of Hiberation, but I think most machines do make the ways to wake out of Stand-By more apparent and easier to configure than ways for waking out of Hiberation. It appears it could also depend if you're set to S1 or S3 ACPI Suspend Type/State.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”