Question about 2 trees

Discussions about using and improving the new FamilySearch online application.
MayaML

Question about 2 trees

Post by MayaML »

Probably a stupid question, but for me this is pretty important.:( You see I am adopted and thus I actually have 2 familytrees that I am working on. How is it possible to have them both on New Family Search or do I have to choose and leave one out? Or just leave me out from it? My mother and father were never married. My real mother almost joined the Church long time ago. My dad's family is very religious my both grandfathers were Lutheran preasts. I am a black sheep. :D
Maya aka Maija-Liisa
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not sure of the details, but I found when I drilled down through the details of the relationships, that nFS supports "Biological, Adopted, Step, Foster, and Guardianship" child/parent relationships.

I think at the high level you just enter both sets of parents and then in the details set the relationship type.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garysturn

Post by garysturn »

Maya wrote:Probably a stupid question, but for me this is pretty important.:( You see I am adopted and thus I actually have 2 familytrees that I am working on. How is it possible to have them both on New Family Search or do I have to choose and leave one out? Or just leave me out from it? My mother and father were never married. My real mother almost joined the Church long time ago. My dad's family is very religious my both grandfathers were Lutheran preasts. I am a black sheep. :D
Maya aka Maija-Liisa
newFamilySearch does support multiple sets of parents. In the pedigree there is an indicator if there are more than one possible set of parents. This is needed not just for adopted lines but also when there are multiple opinions on who the real parents are. You can set which set of parents you wish to show as the default in your pedigree, and can change to the other set at any time to work on the other line.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
MayaML

Post by MayaML »

Thank you so much! That was great news! This is still all so new to me, but looks great.
kelly-p40

Post by kelly-p40 »

My GGrandmother was raised by her grandparents, although I know the names of her two parents (their daughter and her unmarried partner). Is it possible for me to attach her to her parents and then seal her to her grandparents? How exactly do I do this? Thanks!
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

kelly wrote:My GGrandmother was raised by her grandparents, although I know the names of her two parents (their daughter and her unmarried partner). Is it possible for me to attach her to her parents and then seal her to her grandparents? How exactly do I do this? Thanks!
I would recommend that you talk to your ward/branch Family History Consultant and ask that they work with you in person. Working through a problem such as this is very difficult to outline in a forum and is always best handled in person where the proper instruction can be given.

Although it's possible that you may receive an answer to your question in this forum, you might also wish to post your question to the new familysearch forum at: http://forums.familysearch.org/en/
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

Return to “FamilySearch Family Tree Application”