Over-the-Top Interest?

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Over-the-Top Interest?

Post by JonesRC »

We are interested in knowing how your watching Internet content on your TV. Are you? Do you see a need to? Do you have a media server? Do you use Tivo? Do you connect your laptop? Do you have a web-enabled television?

Share you thoughts and ideas on the use of this technology and the value of it in accessing Internet content.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jonesrc wrote:We are interested in knowing how your watching Internet content on your TV. Are you? Do you see a need to? Do you have a media server? Do you use Tivo? Do you connect your laptop? Do you have a web-enabled television?
For myself, I'm waiting for the content to improve. I only have a standard analog cable package and don't watch enough to justify paying a higher monthly fee for digital. Living in a apartment, getting some kind of satellite setup would involve dealing with the association. I'm very interested in IPTV, but so far it seems the content is lacking - what I want to watch isn't really offered in a TV-quality format. I'd really like to find something that carries the few cable channels I do watch so I can cancel cable. Cable seems to be the most expensive content delivery method.

So I'm waiting until I see something that matches my price-point and desired viewing and I'll obtain the equipment necessary to use it. I have no problems laying out money for equipment. But I work to minimize any monthly fees.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nbllds-p40

Post by nbllds-p40 »

We don't pay for cable - we just get the free stuff over-the-air. So, streaming content online is great. I don't have anything too special (no Tivo or web-enabled TV). I use my laptop with a wireless connection and pipe the audio/video out to the TV from there (S-Video out). We've used it to watch BYUTV and General Conference for a couple of years now, and the reliability (particularly during conference) has gotten better and better. We also rent and download movies, watch shows and sports broadcasts, etc.
jeromer7

Post by jeromer7 »

jonesrc wrote:We are interested in knowing how your watching Internet content on your TV. Are you? Do you see a need to? Do you have a media server? Do you use Tivo? Do you connect your laptop? Do you have a web-enabled television?
I have digital cable and have the ability to stream Netflix through a Wii. Otherwise, no Internet content makes it to the TV.
Do I see a need? Well, no, not for use in my home, but I can understand the desire for others to have that capability. For now I am perfectly happy with my 22-inch widescreen monitor for surfing.
JLR
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I have no plans to view Internet content on my TV. If I need to buy a new TV (but my old standard-definition, analog Mitsubishi big-screen just won't quit!) and the new TV already has the ability to show web content then I'll try it. For now, however, I just don't feel the need to change nor spend money for new hardware. I'll watch the Internet on my computer.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jonesrc wrote:We are interested in knowing how you're watching Internet content on your TV. Are you? Do you see a need to?
We have not had a TV in our home for several years now, and we are doing just fine. With rare exceptions, the only internet content I view is html pages on my monitor.

I have watched a few events from BYU-TV. I sought out and watched an episode of a particular program as part of a Church assignment.

Other than that, I do not see a need. If I did, I could purchase a TV and a cable and send it on out there, and leave my glasses on the dresser.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Broadcast and tech blogs forecast the retailers to move 11 million Internet enabled sets next year. All the new sets for the most part will likely have some sort of Internet anabling included in the set at time of manufacture. 8 percent of Americans use IPTV services already, and that number is growing.

Some game devices, DVD/Blu-Ray players, etc., include similar things, for Netflix downloads or listening to Pandora (which is growing by 100,000 users a day) other Internet radio, podcasts, and other services could also eventually show up in future models. Other devices are coming, what types of things beyond this year is anyone's guess.

There have been some events in the last few years, one only this week, that indicate that OTA television may eventually be on the way out. There are no applications pending for new full-power TV stations, channels 5 and 6 may go to FM radio, and the matter this week is a number of applications for new 'low power' stations (those with -LP or -CA calls, or translator calls like K22AA) are on hold until further notice, what their plans are we don't know. They are looking for all kinds of bandwidth for a projected 40-fold increase in just wireless Internet use over how much was used just last year in the next 10-20 years.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Share you thoughts and ideas on the use of this technology and the value of it in accessing Internet content.
We have no interest or need to browse the Internet over a TV. We subscribe to a satellite service for our television, which includes the BYU channel so we can view all sessions of conference except the PHD session. We do not have a web-enabled TV.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

One doesn't have to necessarily have one of the newer Internet-enabled TVs to be using the Internet with their TV. One of the satellite providers in the US, if not both, is using the Internet to serve 'on-demand' programming, you get a device that works between your wireless or wired network and the TV, it then downloads the program to your DVR, and you're ready to watch the program.

That is an early version of it.

But the thing here is that a lot of cable systems out there do not have the capacity, or the desire, to feature some channels, and so this is the way to get specific programming to those that want it without having to provide the channel space for the programming. I've heard that is how a lot of people in some situations get BYUTV, or even other Church programming available via the website. All they have to do is fire up the Internet on their set, and they're ready to go. One of the reasons is they live in an apartment where the cable service is provided as part of the rent, and it doesn't carry BYUTV, or any other given desired channel for that matter.

It's true though that a lot of people may not want it now, that's OK as it is a new technology. But it is developing rapidly and at the very least preparations need to be made to utilize it in the not too distant future. The prices of sets may be a little higher now, but that will come down. Once it hits the right price point, and hits a critical mass in audience, that will be what makes it commonplace, and by then the programming will be in place rather than some of the stuff that is out there right now that is not well-done or otherwise not that good, and we'll see a lot of useful things come via the Internet on our TVs.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

We have a Tivo Series 2 that is networked. I haven't played with it much though since I got my SageTV HD Theater. It certainly would be useful to be able to access BYU TV with this device. I'm hoping that's why the OP is asking. :D

Return to “Digital Media”