MLS Upgrade Notification

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
techgy
Community Moderators

MLS Upgrade Notification

Post by techgy »

I called the MLS Help Desk this morning and inquired as to the following.
From what I was told there is currently no notification following an MLS upgrade.

I seem to recall that the MLS software used to notify a user when an upgrade was downloaded. This notification would advise the user to exit the MLS software and perform a reboot of the computer to properly implement the MLS upgrade.

I don't recall seeing this notification for a while. If it's disappeared it would be helpful to have it re-implemented. Failure to perform a reboot following an MLS upgrade can lead to MLS errors.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

techgy wrote:I called the MLS Help Desk this morning and inquired as to the following.
From what I was told there is currently no notification following an MLS upgrade.

I seem to recall that the MLS software used to notify a user when an upgrade was downloaded. This notification would advise the user to exit the MLS software and perform a reboot of the computer to properly implement the MLS upgrade.

I don't recall seeing this notification for a while. If it's disappeared it would be helpful to have it re-implemented. Failure to perform a reboot following an MLS upgrade can lead to MLS errors.
According to dwterry, Church employee...
dwterry wrote:One complicating factor: MLS 3.1.x had reliability issues with showing the reboot dialog. So you may not realize you have received MLS 3.2 unless you were watching the status bar.
Notice he said the reliability of the prompt showing up was with MLS 3.1.x. It was a problem for this upgrade, but it appears it shouldn't be a problem from now on. This bug is probably a non-issue now.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

mkmurray wrote:According to dwterry, Church employee...

Notice he said the reliability of the prompt showing up was with MLS 3.1.x. It was a problem for this upgrade, but it appears it shouldn't be a problem from now on. This bug is probably a non-issue now.
That would be helpful. However, when I called the MLS help desk the person I spoke with didn't give me any indication that this feature would be present for v3.2 and forward.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
CWatsonJr

Post by CWatsonJr »

It is still a problem. Our counselor and clerk who were taking care of the finances yesterday didn't even realize the 3.2 update came in and installed.

I am wondering if this was one of the sources of our problem with MLS not transmitting the checks yesterday.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

CWatsonJr wrote:It is still a problem. Our counselor and clerk who were taking care of the finances yesterday didn't even realize the 3.2 update came in and installed.

I am wondering if this was one of the sources of our problem with MLS not transmitting the checks yesterday.
What is "still a problem"? Are you referring to the lack of notification of an upgrade? Or problems with transmission?

In any case, both problems seem to be addressed in MLS 3.2, once you successfully complete the upgrade. The problem is in the upgrade process. See this post (and posts that follow it) to learn how to fix the installation.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I upgraded all 10 units in my stake yesterday. I'd say about 1/3 told me new software had been downloaded and I would need to restart for any changes to take effect. 1/2 told me I had a new message to read which, when read, informed me that 3.2 had been or would soon be downloaded. Three of the remaining 5 gave me no notification but when I restarted, 3.2 was there. Two of my units did not automatically download the update at all.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

What Alan_Brown and I are trying to say is that when you downloaded the upgrade for 3.2, it is not activated and installed until you reboot the machine. The unreliable upgrade notification popup was caused by the already running MLS 3.1.5, and not by MLS 3.2 (because a reboot hadn't finalized the upgrade and activated it yet). What I understand dwterry to be saying is that on the next MLS upgrade in the future, the notification popup will not be a problem. Also, dwterry is a Church Employee and I believe involved with the MLS development team; I'm guessing his information is more current than a phone representative at the Help Desk.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

mkmurray wrote: Also, dwterry is a Church Employee and I believe involved with the MLS development team;
Yes he is one of the MLS developers.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”