Question and a wish

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wrigjef

Question and a wish

Post by wrigjef »

I need to change the category of an expense from an other category (which the check was written from) to a budget category (which was the real intent). How can I go about this? A simple transfer does not seem to let you move funds from a budget category to other (which is what need to happen since the expense should be counted against budget rather then the other.

Also as I was writing expense checks today, I noticed that a payee has moved within the unit and updated her membership records with her clerk but I still show her old address on the payee screen (I am a stake financial clerk). It would be nice if these databases were link and updated together. It would also be nice if there were an address "refresh" function.
slmsz20

Post by slmsz20 »

Under View/Update expenses, you should be able to click on the check number. When the expense comes up, you should be able to click on the category and change it to the appropriate budget one (right hand side, click and a magnify glass should appear and you can select a new category). Click save and it will ask you to explain the change. Do a send/receive and it should appear on your next financial statement. Make sure you note the change on the expense paperwork so it matches during an audit.

As far as payees go, currently this is no easy button for refresh, but if you catch it, you can just go to the payee record under add/update payees and just relink the member record and the new address will pop in.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

So if I change the category on this "other" check to budget, how does the amount get back into the other account? Does it create a transfer?

Also I tried re-linking the member as a payee, the system kept giving me the "a payee with the same record number exists" error. Are there specific steps to update a record without getting this error?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:So if I change the category on this "other" check to budget, how does the amount get back into the other account? Does it create a transfer?
Yes, the result will be the creation of a transfer in MLS, which you can see on the View Transfer screen, and will also appear on the View/Update Expenses screen. But remember to make sure that the adjustment does indeed show up on your next Church Unit Financial Statement so that you can be sure that the change also occurred on CHQ records.
wrigjef wrote:Also I tried re-linking the member as a payee, the system kept giving me the "a payee with the same record number exists" error. Are there specific steps to update a record without getting this error?
To update the address for a payee who is a member:
  1. Go to Finance > Add/Update Payees
  2. Click on the blue link for the name of the payee you want to update.
  3. Click the Select button to the right of "Member of Unit"
  4. Select the member from the list (you may need to delete the default name that appears in the "Find Individual in List" field in order to see all the members), then click OK
  5. You should see the updated address appear.
  6. Click Save.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”