MLS Backup

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Graham-p40

MLS Backup

Post by Graham-p40 »

So i have a idea and i am looking for input.

For MLS offsite backup what if you used a VPN tool like Hamachi and had 1 pc in the stake that shared a different folder with each ward through Hamachi to backup MLS to.

Thanks for your everyone's input
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

P2P would probably be blocked by the church mandated and controlled firewalls.

The church automatically uploads a backup to their servers every 30 days, so I wouldn't make elaborate plans for a off-site backup.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
freedom55

Post by freedom55 »

A real quick and easy answer is to just put an extra copy of your routine backup on your USB Drive and take it home with you. I always have a copy of my backup at church and a duplicate at home - just in case.
johnshaw

Automatic Offsite Backup

Post by johnshaw »

I believe this is an interesting idea and one that could be produced by the Church Technology team. For those wards that are using meetinghouse internet and already behind the church firewall. Why not create a backup option that automatically backs across the vpn to a central location at the church. It could be incorporated into the current backup menu system and give you an option of backing up locally or remotely. Some kind of automatic backup would be good as well. I'm not sure how to make that one work, but I'm thinking, ever time I close the program.... though that could get ugly.

But the technologies exist now with dedup and cheap storage that it I think it might be a good use of resources.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”