Question about ideas and collaboration

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
jglanfield

Question about ideas and collaboration

Post by jglanfield »

I'm currently serving in a stake presidency, and this topic came up at a recent Aaronic Priesthood & Young Women Committee Meeting.

The question was asked regarding appropriate ways for youth leaders across the stake to share successful ideas and activities they've had in their wards/branches. To me it seems like a simple email list would do the trick, but I think there is some desire to provide a forum or some other electronic means to contribute to and obtain such information.

Such a forum could also allow the advertising of upcoming stake events, etc. I think some of our committee members feel something like this may be helpful as our stake has an exceptionally large geographic area.

Cheers, and thanks for any advice or input!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

To start with, there's a policy on websites and emails lists that we need to be aware of. Authorized Web Sites

Note that the policy is addressed to church units and organizations. It is not addressed to the members themselves. It's ok for a various leaders with the same calling getting together on a list to discuss ideas. I've known of such lists for clerks, FHC Directors, etc. In fact, if you look around, I think you'll find one that already exists for youth leaders. It may not be specifically for your area, but I'm sure you'll find some good ideas.

Using email to spread the word about events is a little more problematic. In my opinion, that's where the list starts taking on the appearance of functioning as a church organization and not as individuals. You can use your own email to BCC announcements directly to the members, but setting up a listserv or website would seem to be banned by the policy.

Out of curiosity, does the church have church-run Local Unit Website (LUWS) in your area? We have them in the USA, but I don't think they are universally available yet. If you have them, you can make use of the calendering functions, etc to spread the word on events.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jglanfield

Post by jglanfield »

Thanks for that reply. We do have LUWS in our area. However, sometimes we've found it better to get the word out to the youth as well as the youth leaders. We do have a facebook page where youth can view upcoming events. Now that I've reread that letter from the brethren, it seems we may be out of line in doing so. Would you agree?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jglanfield wrote:We do have a facebook page where youth can view upcoming events. Now that I've reread that letter from the brethren, it seems we may be out of line in doing so. Would you agree?
If I were in a position of authority (and I'm not), I would agree. You can read more on the discussion of Facebook as a unit site here.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

jglanfield wrote:Thanks for that reply. We do have LUWS in our area. However, sometimes we've found it better to get the word out to the youth as well as the youth leaders. We do have a facebook page where youth can view upcoming events. Now that I've reread that letter from the brethren, it seems we may be out of line in doing so. Would you agree?
Also, not able to say anything with authority, but holding the policy letter in one hand and this talk by Elder Ballard in the other gives us food for thought, and perhaps a balance?
Ensign » 2008 » July Sharing the Gospel Using the Internet
By Elder M. Russell Ballard
Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

Ours is the world of cyberspace, cell phones that capture video, video and music downloads, social networks, text messaging and blogs, handhelds and podcasts.

This is the world of the future, with inventions undreamed of that will come in your lifetime as they have in mine. How will you use these marvelous inventions? More to the point, how will you use them to further the work of the Lord?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kisaac wrote:Also, not able to say anything with authority, but holding the policy letter in one hand and this talk by Elder Ballard in the other gives us food for thought, and perhaps a balance?
That was also discussed in the other thread. The policy is addressed to church leaders. Elder Ballard is addressing us as individuals acting as individuals.

kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

jglanfield wrote:
Cheers, and thanks for any advice or input!
We here all love to give advice, but you'll have to arrive at your own answers! Welcome to the forum, and may things go well for you and those in your charge.

By the way, have you looked at the new calendar in beta testing for a stake and/or ward YSA or youth calendar? It would require an LDS Account and membership in your stake to view activity specifics... www.beta.lds.org (under tools, and sign in)
thedunsons

try the new calendar

Post by thedunsons »

Agreed, definitely try the new calendar on beta.lds.org. Might help resolve a lot of duplicated efforts!
-mike

Return to “General Discussions”