Spencer Hamlin Osborn Year Ordained

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
edwardochan

Spencer Hamlin Osborn Year Ordained

Post by edwardochan »

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but does anyone knows what is the exact year Spencer Hamlin Osborn became a High Priest?

Spencer Hamlin Osborn was ordained High Priest on 31 Marh ???? by Harold Bingham Lee

Thank you for your assistance.

(Sorry, I can't delete it here or move it to the General Discussions)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

edwardochan wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to ask but does anyone knows what is the exact year Spencer Hamlin Osborn became a High Priest?

Spencer Hamlin Osborn was ordained High Priest on 31 Marh ???? by Harold Bingham Lee
I suppose it's possible that someone on this forum also has this person in their priesthood line of authority and might know the answer. Since he was ordained by President Harold B. Lee, it must have been 40 years or more ago. But that's not very likely.

However, I assume that you are asking because Spencer Osborn is in the priesthood line of authority for you or someone you know. If so, that person can request a copy of his line of authority, which would include that information. The process for requesting this is laid out in the wiki article Priesthood Line of Authority.
edwardochan wrote:(Sorry, I can't delete it here or move it to the General Discussions)
I moved the thread for you.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
edwardochan

Post by edwardochan »

Thanks. I will try to make a request and hope someone knows it here.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:Since he was ordained by President Harold B. Lee, it must have been 40 years or more ago. But that's not very likely.

Based on biographical information I have, Elder Osborn would have been ordained a high priest over 65 years ago, in the mid-1940s, toward the end of World War II, when he was called to serve as a counselor in a bishopric.

As Alan said, request a Priesthood Line of Authority and you will receive the exact year from Church Headquarters.
edwardochan

Post by edwardochan »

I got a message from PLA:

"[font=&quot]I’m sorry does he fall into your line of authority? There is a confidential policy in place, normally you would have to obtain that information from his family."

[/font]
While trying to get information on the Internet, I've found this just now:

Counselor t o Jay S. Grant

In March, 1946, Jay Grant called me as his
Counselor in the Bishopric of Adams Ward. We
went to Salt Lake for April Conference and I
was ordained a High Priest and set apart by
Harold B. Lee. This is the same role my father
had nine years before. I had been attending
UCLA and working as well, but had to give up
my schooling and instead take special classes at
USC in business to equip me.

Spencer Hamlin Osborn. 12th-Photograph
http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm4/docum ... 223&REC=10

I believe the information is true.

Thank you for all your help.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

edwardochan wrote:Counselor to Jay S. Grant

In March, 1946, Jay Grant called me as his
Counselor in the Bishopric of Adams Ward.

. . .
I believe the information is true.
This closely coincides with the calculation I made from another biography based on the year he was born and his age at the time he was ordained a high priest.

Nice detective work.
atticusewig

PLA Confidential ? And Why ?

Post by atticusewig »

edwardochan wrote:I got a message from PLA:

"[font=&quot]I’m sorry does he fall into your line of authority? There is a confidential policy in place, normally you would have to obtain that information from his family."

[/font]
Perhaps I'm just ignorant, but I can't seem to figure out why
someone's Priesthood Line of Authority would be confidential.
Would someone please enlighten me ?

Thank you,
Atticus
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

atticusewig wrote:Perhaps I'm just ignorant, but I can't seem to figure out why someone's Priesthood Line of Authority would be confidential. Would someone please enlighten me ?
I can't give a definitive answer, but it seems entirely reasonable that ordinations of living persons should be confidential, just as any other information on a membership record. Of course, it's public record when George Q. Cannon ordained Heber J. Grant an apostle, but not so public who ordained me to my current priesthood office -- and I personally think it should remain that way. Since the line of authority of a living person will always include at least one ordination performed for a living person, a line of authority should be confidential.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “General Discussions”