Allow Input of Multiple Phone Numbers When Requesting a Record

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
thomaspittman

Allow Input of Multiple Phone Numbers When Requesting a Record

Post by thomaspittman »

Currently you can only enter in a single phone number when requesting a membership record. If they have both a home and cell number that they would like recorded in MLS, this cannot be done immediately. You have to enter in one, and then wait for the record to arrive before entering in the 2nd number.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

tomp wrote:Currently you can only enter in a single phone number when requesting a membership record. If they have both a home and cell number that they would like recorded in MLS, this cannot be done immediately. You have to enter in one, and then wait for the record to arrive before entering in the 2nd number.
There is only one household number, and then each person in the household can also have an individual phone number. Often a whole household's records are requested at once. So it seems like it would complicate the process quite a bit to add individual information to the household request process. It's really pretty easy to update the individual numbers when the records arrive.

Also, I'm not sure, but I would think that now that we have individual phone numbers and email addresses, those fields would be retained in the individual records even after a move. After all, email addresses don't typically have any reason to change because of a move, and individual phone numbers (often a cell phone) also are fairly likely to remain unchanged after a move. If that's true, then it's not very likely that a second number (by this I assume you mean a head of household's individual number) would even need to be changed when a record is requested.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
thomaspittman

Post by thomaspittman »

Actually that makes more sense for regular family wards. I'm the membership clerk of a singles ward and so everybody is treated as their own household (at least, that's how we organize it). And so just about everyone has 2 phone numbers (home + cell), making this a common annoyance for me at least.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:It's really pretty easy to update the individual numbers when the records arrive.
Is there anything preventing updating immediately?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:
Alan_Brown wrote:It's really pretty easy to update the individual numbers when the records arrive.
Is there anything preventing updating immediately?
What do you mean by "immediately"? Of course, the membership records can be updated the moment they arrive in MLS. Before they arrive, there is no option to update the records, since a ward can only update records that it actually has.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

tomp wrote:Actually that makes more sense for regular family wards. I'm the membership clerk of a singles ward and so everybody is treated as their own household (at least, that's how we organize it). And so just about everyone has 2 phone numbers (home + cell), making this a common annoyance for me at least.
When I wrote my previous reply, I was working from memory. In the meantime, I've looked at MLS 3.1.5, and it appears to me that what you are asking for is already doable.

When you request an Individual record (which is what you would do in a singles ward, I assume), there is a "Contact Information" tab which allows you to specify both individual and household phone number and email address. If you fill in that information at the time of the request, it should be automatically added to the membership record when it arrives. Isn't that exactly what you are asking for?

Note that if you request a household record, there is no ability to specify an individual phone/email, so it's important that you choose "Request Individual Record" when you do the request.

See the screenshot below:
RecordRequest.jpg
(80.51 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”