Public Events

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
marlattrj-p40

Public Events

Post by marlattrj-p40 »

I had a discussion today with my Dad who is on the stake young mens presidency, he was frustrated that there isn't a way to post public events on the Unit/Stake sites. Our stake along with others in the regions hold regional activities like Firesides, LDS Encampments, Conferences, etc. The problem that they are having is that they want to provide information to a more broad group of people such as registration forms and other information.

He asked that I suggest that the sites provide a place to post non-confidential information about events to anyone weather of not that have an account on that specific unit's site.

Is there some way to do this? Is the church looking into providing such service like a blog?

Rich
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

This would also be useful for SA & YSA events.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It doesn't help much, but I've found the "news" attachments don't require a login to retrieve if you know the URL.

The only solid suggestion I can give is to write something up and then email to all the stake webmasters that belong in the area to have them individually post it to their own stake.
marlattrj-p40

Post by marlattrj-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:The only solid suggestion I can give is to write something up and then email to all the stake webmasters that belong in the area to have them individually post it to their own stake.
The problem is that when ever there is an update it becomes a challenge getting the new update out to all the other stakes in a timely manner.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

True, but I believe you can have your own website of events (like google calendar) for keeping up to date and just have all the stake webmasters just post a link to it. Then all the updates are stored in a central location and everyone can be kept up to date.

I've seen many other regional areas do this and thus that is where this idea came from.
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I don't think you can make a link in LUWS that points outside of church web pages.

Also, wouldn't anything outside of lds.org be against the spirit of the letter that said no church unit or organization was to have a web page or email list?
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

RussellHltn wrote:I don't think you can make a link in LUWS that points outside of church web pages.

I thought I saw that before. Maybe a ward admin could try it out and return the results. Even if they couldn't you still can place text that gives the site's address without making a link.
RussellHltn wrote:Also, wouldn't anything outside of lds.org be against the spirit of the letter that said no church unit or organization was to have a web page or email list?

I'll defer this to Tom. I am just relating what I have seen multi-stake activities committies do with great sucess. Some even have external registration for regional activies. Though membership information is NOT stored on any external though which I thought was the purpose of closing down the sites in the first place.
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:Though membership information is NOT stored on any external though which I thought was the purpose of closing down the sites in the first place.
I'm talking about the original shutdown order from 2001 and restated. The reasons were multiple. A couple of others where "rights of 3rd parties" (which might include copyrights) and "speaking with a unified voice" (I think that's along the lines of "you're publishing to the whole world and not just to you're own region.")

I know some places do have sites that are apparently authorized, but I have no idea how you go about getting permission for one's site. Yes, I've seen sites like you describe. The only one I'm personally familiar with was, uh, well, "locally authorized". :D A lot of things are forbidden. They still happen.

If there are authorized means of creating sites for multi-stake/regional activities, I'd be most interested. In fact I'd suggest the idea for LUWS 2.0.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

thedqs wrote: I'll defer this to Tom. I am just relating what I have seen multi-stake activities committies do with great sucess. Some even have external registration for regional activies. Though membership information is NOT stored on any external though which I thought was the purpose of closing down the sites in the first place.
We realize that there are many problems with the current LUW. We also ask that people try to abide by the spirit of the instructions given by the Church. I don't have a definitive hard rule what you can or cannot due.

Tom

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”