YSA Branch Leadership Records

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
Kyrandita

YSA Branch Leadership Records

Post by Kyrandita »

The Presidency of my Branch recently changed and there is some confusion about how to correctly assign them as OOU (Out Of Unit) members with official callings in our branch... Anyone have any experience with this?

I'd also like to know if these OOU members will have access to the new LUWS site (beta.lds.org) for their callings... since their records are officially in their home ward I'm not sure how it will handle this...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Kyrandita wrote:The Presidency of my Branch recently changed and there is some confusion about how to correctly assign them as OOU (Out Of Unit) members with official callings in our branch... Anyone have any experience with this?
Simply add them as Out of Unit Members in MLS. The steps to do this are outlined in the wiki article Out of Unit records. Once they are listed as out of unit members, you can assign callings to them, just as with any other member of the branch.
Kyrandita wrote:I'd also like to know if these OOU members will have access to the new LUWS site (beta.lds.org) for their callings... since their records are officially in their home ward I'm not sure how it will handle this...
For the old LUWS, you would add them as non-resident members, which is described in the wiki article I referenced above. But for the new site, I don't know how to do this.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Be sure to include their membership numbers and most recent priesthood ordination info so that you can add them to the bishopric. Also, if you are creating MLS logins for them, you want to assign them as "Member of Unit" and NOT "Out of Unit Administrator". To do this, they will need membership numbers in their local record. See here.

To actually make the change on the CDOL, the stake will need to submit the request through their MLS. See here.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Alan_Brown wrote:But for the new site, I don't know how to do this.
The new site (LUWS) uses the callings from CDOL. So following crislapi's instructions
crislapi wrote: To actually make the change on the CDOL, the stake will need to submit the request through their MLS. See here.
will get them access.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

I have a related question. I was called as the YSA Branch Clerk in my Stake about 4 months ago. The old clerk and I created a out of unit record for me, created my account in MLS, and we then deleted his record. In looking at my record in the Branch MLS, it looks exactly the same as the rest of the Presidency. I show up in all of the Branch directories, and I've been told that the CDOL was updated, but I haven't looked at it to ensure that.

Problem: I don't show up in the Branch Directory on the LUWS (the old clerk is still there, however and all of the Presidency is there). How do we get the LUWS directory updated so that I am there? I assumed it would update automatically like it does with the regular members but I now think I'm missing a step somewhere.

Can you help a brother out?

Thanks
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

idjeeper wrote:I have a related question. I was called as the YSA Branch Clerk in my Stake about 4 months ago. The old clerk and I created a out of unit record for me, created my account in MLS, and we then deleted his record. In looking at my record in the Branch MLS, it looks exactly the same as the rest of the Presidency. I show up in all of the Branch directories, and I've been told that the CDOL was updated, but I haven't looked at it to ensure that.

Problem: I don't show up in the Branch Directory on the LUWS (the old clerk is still there, however and all of the Presidency is there). How do we get the LUWS directory updated so that I am there? I assumed it would update automatically like it does with the regular members but I now think I'm missing a step somewhere.

Thanks
The callings in LUWS are managed separately. One of the website administrators in your branch will have to go in and edit the callings for you. The new beta directory should show you if you are in CDOL.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

idjeeper wrote:I have a related question. I was called as the YSA Branch Clerk in my Stake about 4 months ago. The old clerk and I created a out of unit record for me, created my account in MLS, and we then deleted his record. In looking at my record in the Branch MLS, it looks exactly the same as the rest of the Presidency. I show up in all of the Branch directories, and I've been told that the CDOL was updated, but I haven't looked at it to ensure that.

Thanks
You're not having this exact same problem, but the following thread does answer your question:

Error in Leadership directory

The gist of it is that leadership calling info does not automatically transfer to LUWS from the other systems. See the thread for more info.

There is a newer version of LUWS fairly close to being released that I think makes the updates automatic.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

idjeeper wrote:Problem: I don't show up in the Branch Directory on the LUWS (the old clerk is still there, however and all of the Presidency is there). How do we get the LUWS directory updated so that I am there? I assumed it would update automatically like it does with the regular members but I now think I'm missing a step somewhere.
The step you (and the others) are missing is that for LUWS you have to be added as a non-Resident member. As I mentioned previously in this post, you need to have the stake website administrator add you as a non-resident member assigned to the YSA branch, as described in the wiki under Out of Unit records. Until that is done, you won't appear on the LUWS membership directory, and you can't be added to the LUWS leadership directory for that branch.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

ryan jones wrote:The callings in LUWS are managed separately. One of the website administrators in your branch will have to go in and edit the callings for you. The new beta directory should show you if you are in CDOL.
Thank you for the link. I had seen some references to the beta directory but didn't know where it was. I do show up in the Branch Leadership so the CDOL must have been updated.
Alan_Brown wrote:The step you (and the others) are missing is that for LUWS you have to be added as a non-Resident member. As I mentioned previously in this post, you need to have the stake website administrator add you as a non-resident member assigned to the YSA branch, as described in the wiki under Out of Unit records. Until that is done, you won't appear on the LUWS membership directory, and you can't be added to the LUWS leadership directory for that branch.
This is where I get confused. I read that post and the rest of the thread and I guess I understood it to mean that if I was from a different stake, then I would need to be added as a non-resident member. Also, if I want to be directed to the Branch LUWS when I log in instead of my ward LUWS. I didn't realize that that is also how I get listed on the Branch Membership directory. I'll talk to the Stake Clerk and have him try that.

Ryan Jones also hit on one of the catch-22s here. The Branch website administrator released himself from the calling (just quit doing it about 9 months ago) and has forgotten his password, etc. Our strategy was to make me the administrator for at least a short period of time to get things up to date and functional. Since I'm not on the directory, I can't be assigned. The Stake Clerk is the back-up admin so he should be able to fix me up.

Thank you for the guidance. I'm sure I'll have more questions and I hope I can contribute something eventually. I have several years of Membership Clerk experience but I still have a lot to learn about being the Branch Clerk and the finance side of things.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

Thought I should update this in the event someone else runs into the same or similar issues.

Not a surprise, but Alan_Brown nailed the problem and solution. The Stake Clerk had never run into this before (we previously had a tech guy that got called into a bishopric who had always done it). So it turned into a training-for-two as we worked through everything.

I'm good to go now and busy getting the website back on track.

Thanks for all of your help

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”