How to POP myldsmail missionary accounts using Postbox, GMail, AOL, etc.

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
Jayzer-p40

How to POP myldsmail missionary accounts using Postbox, GMail, AOL, etc.

Post by Jayzer-p40 »

Hi there,

I just got back from my mission in Mexico a few weeks ago and have been through quite a trial getting my account POPped. I just wanted to post my results for future reference because in my many Google searches this site came up a lot :D

POP is an email protocol that lets you transfer emails from one account to another. Let's say that I have my missionary account at elder@myldsmail.net (example) and he has his 100MB inbox nearly full after two years. I want to transfer those emails out and save them as a souvenir and history for future personal use. Currently in the Novell client there is no export ability, the best you can do is have the client forward all incoming emails to another account. But this has to be done BEFORE you receive an email for it to be sent. I never did it, so what can I do to yank all of those emails?

The first step is to call the church global service desk to request that they POP your account. I don't know the direct number but the COB reception desk is 801 240 1000 and you can just ask to be transferred. They will ask for your username and ask you to verify your name and the mission where you served. That's the easy part.

Hard part- getting the two accounts to connect! You will need another email account for all of this to work.

1) Through Postbox- http://postbox-inc.com/
I found a free... multi-account manager program? You basically POP all of your existing email accounts into this program and it manages all of the accounts at once with a big blanket password.

Anyway, download and install the program. You can choose your myldsmail account as your primary but remember that eventually it will be deleted. I made a new Gmail account and set that as my primary, then went to 'file-new- account' to add my myldsmail account.

In 'New Account Setup', choose the 'other email account' radio button and add the following information:

Your Name: (your name)
Your Email address: (youremailaddress)@myldsmail.net
Type of server: POP
Incoming Server: pop.ldsmail.net
Incoming User Name: (youremailaddress)@myldsmail.net
Account Name: whatever you like, I used (youremailaddress)@myldsmail.net

Next click finish and the account should appear on the left hand side. Right click it and go to 'get messages' and all of the emails in your INBOX should appear in the program in less than 5 minutes! easy!

TROUBLESHOOTING:
-If you get error messages, please go to 'account settings' under the 'tools' menu and go to your myldsmail account's 'server settings' tab. In 'security settings', select the SSL radio button. This should automatically change your port number to 995 if it isn't already.

-If you don't receive any error messages but are still not seeing new mail, I found out that POP only reads the mail in the INBOX folder of myldsmail accounts. So I had separate subfolders (family, friends, president, etc.) that I had to go in and copy in groups of 50 into the Inbox folder, go back and refresh postbox with the 'get messages' command, and then they showed up.

Pros: advanced management tools
Cons: is software, not website, so the emails are only saved on local machine, not online server

2) With GMail, AOL, etc.
A lot of email providers have POP support now. For example, I have Gmail account. I went to the "settings- accounts and import- check mail using POP3' and with the same information as above I was able to link up to my myldsmail account too. I don't know how to do it with other accounts, but the important thing is that the information is the same as above for it to work and is universal. I will post it one more time:

Your Email address: (youremailaddress)@myldsmail.net
Type of server: POP
Incoming Server: pop.ldsmail.net
Incoming User Name: (youremailaddress)@myldsmail.net
*make sure that you are using SSL security and/or port 995 or the Novell client will not accept the request!
*Also make sure that the global service desk POP'ped your account! The 'profesionals' are there until 5-6pm gmt monday through friday. Late at night or weekends they just try to guess it for you which resulted in losing my entire cell phone credit blind troubleshooting :D

Anyway I hope this helps, feel free to try it out, and if it works for you, pass on to friends. Also if you like Postbox, spread the word!

I hope this is understandable. If you have questions you can send me an email at mr.j.v.welch (at) gmail (dot) com. Or post it here and I will try to be helpful.

Thank you
J
Kyrandita

Post by Kyrandita »

Thank you very much, most helpful.

I used Thunderbird and it worked beautifully.

with the same settings as postbox it worked great.

small requirement notice (only in Thunderbird are these tested):
on username the "@myldsmail.net" is REQUIRED for login
while the server says it wants SSL, it won't work if you enable it

The people at the GSD are very helpful in doing this...
and the GSD number for any future RMs is :801-240-4357
zabaki

Post by zabaki »

It would be so smart if the myldsmail.net web site had this as a FAQ or something.

I know every missionary would want this - saving emails is like saving letters.
sometimes a lot of people would like.
Enigma1-p40

Post by Enigma1-p40 »

Jayzer wrote: *Also make sure that the global service desk POP'ped your account! The 'profesionals' are there until 5-6pm gmt monday through friday.

This seems to be what most people are missing...
all myldsmail.net accounts of POP disabled as a default unless we are asked when the missionary completes his time, to change that.
paulohefagundes

New.MyldsMail.Net

Post by paulohefagundes »

Hi I have a question: recently the church upgraded the missionary email to the new.myldsmail.net

For me it seems like it is an account within Google accounts...

So In my new.myldsmail when I click on Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP, under POP Download, it shows:
1. Status: POP is enabled

So when I go to my Gmail account, and try to import all the email through POP, it gives me an error message:
There was a problem connecting to mail.myldsmail.net
Server returned error: "We were unable to locate the other domain. Please contact your other provider."

Do any of you have any idea on what I did wrong? Because I saw that POP was enabled, I assumed that I would not need to call the church headquarters...
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Since I don't have a myldsmail.net account and haven't checked the routing this may not work, but try using the address <your address>@google.com/a/myldsmail.net when setting up your gmail account to retrieve your mail.

The Church servers are routing all mail requests to the google mail servers. When using POP retrieval you need to identify the actual mail server where the account is.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

"mail.myldsmail.net' is a problem. The name does not resolve.

Try changing the POP server to "myldsmail.net".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Another server to try would be pop.myldsmail.net.
Two others I would try are pop.google.myldsmail.net and google.myldsmail.net.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:Another server to try would be pop.myldsmail.net.
Two others I would try are pop.google.myldsmail.net and google.myldsmail.net.
None of those names resolve. At least not here at home.

Poking around a bit, "myldsmail.net" just seems to be the front end. You have to go to "new.myldsmail.net" just to get to the sign in screen.

When you log into myldsmail, what is the domain you see at the top?

Without further information, I would suggest trying pop.gmail.com. Yes, that's gmails servers, but when presented with the "@myldsmail" email, they may know what to do.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Beholder87 wrote:Hi I have a question: recently the church upgraded the missionary email to the new.myldsmail.net

For me it seems like it is an account within Google accounts...

Do any of you have any idea on what I did wrong? Because I saw that POP was enabled, I assumed that I would not need to call the church headquarters...
So it sounds like you are trying to import your new.myldsmail.net email (which is a Google Apps site) into your regular gmail account. To do this:
  1. In Gmail settings, go to the "Accounts and Import" tab.
  2. By "Check mail using POP3" click the "Add POP3 email account" button
  3. Specify your ldsmail.net email address ("xxxx@ldsmail.net");click "Next Step"
  4. Change the username to be exactly the same as your full email address
  5. Enter your password
  6. The POP Server is "pop.gmail.com"
  7. Change the Port to 995
  8. Check the "Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail" box
  9. Click "Add Account"
Note that Gmail says it doesn't support leaving a copy of the messages on the server. That may mean that you should only go this route if you want to access your email through your gmail account and not through your ldsmail.net account. I'm not sure what the effect of that setting is for this particular configuration.

For others who may want to access their ldsmail.net account through another email client such as Outlook 2003, you can follow the instructions in the Gmail help system (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ ... swer=75291).

The important things are that your username is your full ldsmail.net address, the POP server is pop.gmail.com (not mail.ldsmail.net or anything like that), the port is 995, and use SSL.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”