The Book of Mormon and Holy Bible Now Available in ePub Format

The latest forum news and information
McDanielCA

The Book of Mormon and Holy Bible Now Available in ePub Format

Post by McDanielCA »

The Book of Mormon and the Holy Bible are now available in the ePub format. This format will work with many of the popular e-reader devices on the market, including the Apple iPad, Sony Reader, and Barnes & Noble Nook. Visit the Gospel Library for ePub LDSTech Wiki page to download the files and for instructions on how to use the ePub format on your iPad device.
jficklin

Anyone know when scriptures on CD update will be out?

Post by jficklin »

It is wonderful to see the scriptures becoming available in so many formats. As a Spanish language interpreter for my stake, I use the electronic version of the scriptures on CD (or DVD - can't remember) which permit the side by side display of English and Spanish scriptures and have very fast search capabilities. I have been anxiously awaiting an update which would include the new Spanish Bible recently published by the church. This would make a complete set of the scriptures (the current CD doesn't include a Spanish Bible) available for use when interpreting Spanish/English for stake meetings. Anyone know when the updated version will be out?
silid

Post by silid »

They look really good. Am I right in thinking that they do not contain "EXPLANATORY NOTES AND CROSS REFERENCES TO THE STANDARD WORKS" as described at the beginning of the Holy Bible?
jonalbright

Best to reformat through Calibre

Post by jonalbright »

First of all let me say that I am thrilled to finally have the Bible and Book of Mormon on my Nook. I cant wait to see the Pearl of Great Price and Doctrine and Covenants and hope the other materials will be available soon.

Downloading the files and installing them through the Adobe Digital Edition was a little buggy. Whenever I would try to go to a specific chapter from the title page of each book (Helaman and Mormon were the two that I tried) it would freeze up. I also found that even scrolling through some of the pages ran a little slow.

I then deleted the two books directly from the Nook and sent the files to be cleaned up and re-formated through Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/). After that things ran much smoother and the issues I stated above went away. Hope this helps anyone else going through the same issues.
rfbarker

Post by rfbarker »

Are there instructions for using these files with a SONY digital reader? I just bought one and I'm not familiar with importing files that don't come from the SONY eBook store. I presume the SONY Reader Library program on my laptop would be the equivalent of the Apple iTunes program, but somehow things are not quite clicking.
rfbarker

Calibre-eBook Works, but...

Post by rfbarker »

Taking a hint from another post, I tried converting the zip files to ePub using the Calibre product. It worked, but I'm not 100 percent happy with the result. Anyone try this yet with Reader Library from Sony?
ggoehring

Another EPUB Scripture Option

Post by ggoehring »

I created a two-level navigation set of scriptures (OT, NT, PGP, BM, DC) for my Sony PRS 300. It does not have screen navigation. I have already converted the files from html to epub format and run all on my reader. There are five separate books as described above. The two-level navigation is as follows: Level 1: Genesis, 1 Nephi or D&C Sections 1-10 Level 2: Genesis Chap 1, 1 Nephi Chap 3, D&C Section 89 (just examples) This navigational formatting was pursued after buying my reader to read the OT on my daily commute int he Wash DC area. I created HTML files first, applied necessary tags throughout, and then converted them using Calibre (a free software utility). You can access them on my website at:

http://www.icentricity.net (follow the link to My eBooks)

There are free for anyone to use. My contact info is on the eBook page so you can report any challenges should you encounter any.

I have loaded them onto a Ward member's Sony (next model up with touch screen and 7" screen) and they work very well on that reader.

Greg
ggoehring

Converting to EPUB using Calibre

Post by ggoehring »

Since there was an earlier post. I find it easiest to use an html file which is just text. Key is that the post file extension be .html.

Then you can add <h4>, <h3>, <h2>, etc tags to Book Titles, Chapter Headings, etc.

In Calibre, add the html file to the library, then click on convert...chose EPUB as the format. Under the Table of Contents configuration setup...left hand menu bar once in the convert utility, use the wizard to select how you want the conversion to create the Table of Contents. I believe there are three levels available. The first (top most) should be the highest level of the hiearachy you want to create (e.g. Genesis). The next could be Chapter, etc. This uses the tags you created and added to the .html file to then create a Table of Contents. Sounds a little techie, but is quite easy once you understand...just time consuming adding all of those tags.

Unrelated, I use
to create line breaks before each Verse just changing the file from run on paragraph format to verse listing. This is where the time really consumes you. I used some find and replace code for what I could...but that sees numbers as numbers regardless of where they are.

Have fun!
ggoehring

Sony Reader and EPUB Version of Standard Works Version 3 Completed

Post by ggoehring »

I completed version 3 of the Standard Works as referenced above in my earlier posts this afternoon. Thanks to some users who pointed out possible improvements, they are complete. The changes include:

1. All books have fully been tested to ensure that two-layer navigation is fully working

2. Earlier chapter headings in some cases had a '?' symbol. This is not gone.

Improved versions of both EPUB and HTML formats have been posted to my website at:

http://www.icentricity.net/My-eBooks.aspx

These are available for free use. Thanks to those who have provided comment. There is a comment email link on the webpage.

Greg
ggoehring

EBOOK Standard Works Compatibility confirmed with Nook and PRS-600 readers

Post by ggoehring »

I have had users confirm this past week that the EBOOK scriptures (OT, NT, BoM, PoGP, D&C) are compatible with the Nook and Sony PRS-600 readers. The favorite feature appears to be the Dual-Level Navigation built into the Table of Contents.

Available at no cost: http://www.icentricity.net/My-eBooks.aspx

Return to “Announcements & Policies”