Ward Website Admin Privileges/Role (LUWS)

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
n.oliver

Ward Website Admin Privileges/Role (LUWS)

Post by n.oliver »

I'm very excited about the new LDS.org in beta! It's great to use Web 2.0 elements!

As the Ward Website Admin I've been trying to get ready for the scheduled change-over to the wonderful new system, but I'm finding that the admin system works differently than the current system. Currently I have no admin rights, even to approve a new calendar.

Am I right in assuming that site privileges are based on calling info entered into the database from MLS? If not, how would my Stake Admin go about giving me Ward Admin rights? We spent about 40 minutes searching but found nothing (granted it was his first time on beta.LDS.org).

I've spoken with my Membership Clerk and in two days he will be checking if my calling is custom text-titled or a predefined entry in the database. If this is how privileges are granted, it will be important for Clerks to know. If anyone knows the formal title so I can help my Clerk search that would be wonderful!

Thank you, I've searched for about a week for a similar topic and found none. Hopefully this is the right step (before calling SLC :) )
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

n.oliver wrote:Am I right in assuming that site privileges are based on calling info entered into the database from MLS? If not, how would my Stake Admin go about giving me Ward Admin rights? We spent about 40 minutes searching but found nothing (granted it was his first time on beta.LDS.org).

I've spoken with my Membership Clerk and in two days he will be checking if my calling is custom text-titled or a predefined entry in the database. If this is how privileges are granted, it will be important for Clerks to know. If anyone knows the formal title so I can help my Clerk search that would be wonderful!
I believe that ward website administrators ultimately are going to have calendar approval rights in the new system but it isn't working in the current build. That should be corrected when they release the next beta version (but I don't know when that will be).

However, any of the current ward level callings with calendar admin rights should be able to add you as a calendar approver. That would include the bishopric, ward clerk and assistant clerks and the executive secretary. They have to log into the beta calendar and use the 'Manage Rights' menu option.

I don't think the stake level admins can grant you approval rights on the ward level (at least in the current build).
KenRichins

Ward Web site Administrator Callin

Post by KenRichins »

Office calling is: website administrator

You will find this information in the help file click on help button.

After a calling shows in CDOL it takes another 24-48 hours to show on the beta site. Keep checking the options menu for added rights (manage Calendars).
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

KenRichins wrote:Office calling is: website administrator
That is the correct calling but the currently deployed build has a bug which prevents this calling from getting approver rights. The bug has been fixed but a new build hasn't been deployed to the beta site yet.
KenRichins wrote:After a calling shows in CDOL it takes another 24-48 hours to show on the beta site. Keep checking the options menu for added rights (manage Calendars).
What's your source for that? My understanding is that callings information comes directly from CDOL and there should not be any delay. In the Ward Directory tool updates seem to show immediately but I haven't had a chance to test that in regards to calendar approvers.
KenRichins

Update time

Post by KenRichins »

Based on feedback. they told me that it can take that long. The few that I have seen seem to take that long. I don't know why They just said that it does NOT always check for updates and CAN take upto 2 days to be updated. I have seen it take only seconds and sometimes over a day.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

KenRichins wrote:Based on feedback. they told me that it can take that long. The few that I have seen seem to take that long. I don't know why They just said that it does NOT always check for updates and CAN take upto 2 days to be updated. I have seen it take only seconds and sometimes over a day.
Currently the most common way people access CDOL's callings get the data from a nightly copy into a warehouse, so any changes that make it into CDOL before the feed starts (currently ~6 pm Mountain time) will show up in the other apps by the next morning.

Some sites are moving to use the newer CDOL webservices that give them real time access. Any app using this approach will show the callings as soon as they are visible in CDOL.
n.oliver

Post by n.oliver »

Lots of great information, Thank you!
n.oliver

Post by n.oliver »

KenRichins wrote: You will find this information in the help file click on help button.
There are a lot of helps, are you referring to the Wiki, these forums, in the actual webpage (ex: beta.lds.org/church-calendar)? Which help button where? There is a lot of information scattered everywhere, its a tad hard to keep tabs on all of it, know what is the most up-to-date, etc.
KenRichins

Post by KenRichins »

the help in beta.lds.org and of course these forums
n.oliver

Post by n.oliver »

For the benefit of future readers:

I now have access/permissions to manage the calendars of our ward on the beta site.

However, the "Tools for Your Callings and Responsibilities" (link) section is still blank. Different realms of the site though, and it is currently only May (deployment in January).

Also, this thread (link) is related and might also be of interest.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”