Beta Directory Issues

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
zaneclark

Printing Too Light

Post by zaneclark »

I have been experimenting with the various printing options and have found that the telephone numbers print very light, almost too dim to see. I have tried this on different printers with the settings high for dark print and it is still the same. I have sent this issue as feedback to the web gurus, hoping that they can fix this before the release in June...
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

zaneclark wrote:I have been experimenting with the various printing options and have found that the telephone numbers print very light, almost too dim to see. I have tried this on different printers with the settings high for dark print and it is still the same. I have sent this issue as feedback to the web gurus, hoping that they can fix this before the release in June...
I just printed a complete (4 column) directory of my home ward and all the information printed fine. When you printed, did ALL of the phone numbers print lighter or only a select few?
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

techgy wrote:I just printed a complete (4 column) directory of my home ward and all the information printed fine. When you printed, did ALL of the phone numbers print lighter or only a select few?
All numbers printed light, with the names darker.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

RussellHltn wrote:I suggest you send a note in feedback. I don't know how it was intended to work, but having to reapprove photos of all move-in seems like extra work to me.
The code to handle moving photos between wards has not been included yet, so as of now I'm not sure exactly what to expect. Once it's done, your photos should follow you from ward to ward without any issues. I haven't been able to test it myself in our internal test environment due to technical limitations, so I've been wondering what would happen...

...I could follow that up with an explanation of the complexities involved in maintaining the test environment for this application (CMIS, CDOL, LDSAccount, Single-Sign-On, and on and on), but instead I'll just say, thanks for trying it for me! :D
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

zaneclark wrote:All numbers printed light, with the names darker.
What you're describing almost sounds like everyone has chosen to not display their phone numbers on the listing and the lighter color is simply an indication of that choice. However, I somehow doubt that the entire ward would choose to do this.

Try directing the printing to a PDF Creator instead of to the printer, then view the result and see what you get. Also, clear your browser cache.

If you still have the problem, then it would be a good idea to submit some feedback using the response mechanism within the beta site.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

techgy wrote:
zaneclark wrote:I have been experimenting with the various printing options and have found that the telephone numbers print very light, almost too dim to see. I have tried this on different printers with the settings high for dark print and it is still the same. I have sent this issue as feedback to the web gurus, hoping that they can fix this before the release in June...
I just printed a complete (4 column) directory of my home ward and all the information printed fine. When you printed, did ALL of the phone numbers print lighter or only a select few?
When I print my ward's directory, for each household the name definitely prints darker than the rest of the information, as you can see in this screen shot (don't worry, I cobbled together various words, so this contains no real information).
Directory.png
Directory.png (3.74 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
So I think it's clear that the printout of the directory is designed to distinguish the name from the other information by using different shades of color. But it seems to be a minor difference; the name is pretty close to black, and the other information is a fairly dark gray. In my experience, the gray text doesn't seem to be anywhere near "almost too dim to see."

Perhaps some printers exaggerate this difference. Zane, is this the same basic issue you are seeing, although you see a more pronounced difference? Or am I on the wrong track?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Alan_Brown wrote:When I print my ward's directory, for each household the name definitely prints darker than the rest of the information, as you can see in this screen shot (don't worry, I cobbled together various words, so this contains no real information).

So I think it's clear that the printout of the directory is designed to distinguish the name from the other information by using different shades of color. But it seems to be a minor difference; the name is pretty close to black, and the other information is a fairly dark gray. In my experience, the gray text doesn't seem to be anywhere near "almost too dim to see."

Perhaps some printers exaggerate this difference. Zane, is this the same basic issue you are seeing, although you see a more pronounced difference? Or am I on the wrong track?
This exactly the issue I am seeing. I looked at it a little closer and the numbers appear to be in a different font than the rest of the entry. Perhaps that is the reason the number appears lighter..
zaneclark

Printing Not Working

Post by zaneclark »

I just tried the site to see if I could work out the printing issue, and cannot print anything! I keep reminding myself that the site is still beta and so may be offline occasionally for further adjustments...
zaneclark

Site not available?

Post by zaneclark »

Just tried again and it tells me that my login is incorrect.... It is the same LDSaccount I use for everything and it still works on other sites.... More maintenance?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:Just tried again and it tells me that my login is incorrect.... It is the same LDSaccount I use for everything and it still works on other sites.... More maintenance?
It works fine for me (8 minutes later). I can login, and I can print the directory.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”