What about other languages?

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
aprozz-p40

What about other languages?

Post by aprozz-p40 »

When can we count on other languages?

Here is my vote for German.

Regards
Aprozz
Tini-p40

how about french ?

Post by Tini-p40 »

how come its difficult to get the apps in other languages ?
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Because software must be designed to be multi-language!
The other way is to provide software's sources. And this is not well see (till now) from Church.

This is my vote for Italian.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Tini wrote:how come its difficult to get the apps in other languages ?
There are really several reasons that make other languages a challenge.
  1. You have to setup all the strings in the application to get translations from some kind of resource bundle by language. This can be a lot of work especially if you are doing it after the fact. The programming language you are using can make a difference (if it provides ways to support this easily).
  2. You have to get the strings translated.
    1. You have to get the translated strings back into the correct format for the application to read.
    2. You have to manage this in an ongoing way or the applications strings get out of date.
  3. Some of those language translations then won't fix in the same space as English and that can mess up the layout of the application.

That being said those issues are all things that can be managed. It just takes some time and planning and priority in the application.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

This is expecially true for proprietary soft.
In linux, and Open Source soft generally, there is PO file that make translation process easyer.
For Internet site, and forum, there are already functions that make translation easyer (if not yet translated).
I made a Joomla extension for Brazilian guys. I made it in English providing transaltion in Italian and instruction to translate it in Portugues.
I don't know Portugues, so local member made it!
I think, as LdM teach, first come desire than faith and finally facts happens (expecially using community)!
namrog-p40

Post by namrog-p40 »

rather than waiting to get all the strings translated into Spanish, couldn't you just upload the Spanish/Portuguese/yourlanguageofchoice content and leave all the menus and such in English?
namrog-p40

Post by namrog-p40 »

am i the only one who thinks that's a good compromise?
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Depend on how many features apps give.
The realy solutions would be the icons.
Usually graphic is well understood from everyone, no matter which his language is.
The challenge will be "how to get in graphic" all features!
But there will be always problem with "warning or error" messages!
namrog-p40

Post by namrog-p40 »

i don't think you would necessarily have to even create a new app. since all the scriptures are stored locally in the app and not part of the application, i think it would be feasible to simply make the scriptures and such downloadable within the app. i think the developer of the free hymns app does a great job handling it. simply tap "language" and your language options pop up. i dunno, i've been dying to have a GOOD version of the scriptures in portuguese for a few years now. just have to continue being patient.....
hirsp1

English Software - Other Language Content

Post by hirsp1 »

I like the idea of, for now, keeping the software in English, but being able to download the content in other languages.

For instance, my mother speaks two languages - her native language, and English. She'd be able to use the English menus just fine, but would LOVE to be able to read native.

Wouldn't this, for the time being, remove the need to redo menus? Isn't content just content?

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”