Seminary

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
MayaML

Seminary

Post by MayaML »

I think it would be a good idea to have a seminary possibility on line. I live in a country wher there live only a few members close enough that the kids can attend the early morning seminary. In some cases the buss for school leaves before they get out of seminary... My youngest is out of seminary this spring. It has been a 4 year nightmare to get him up at 6 to go to the early morning seminary. We have been driving other kids to the seminary too, but all too many times he was left home sleeping (I think:D). My oldest son did not miss ONE day the last year of seminary, and not much other ways either! My youngest has nothin against seminary itself just getting up. :o
Anyway a possibility to do the seminary at home with computer woudl be a good sollution for many. Also a possible cam conferance could be nice, not just reading and answering the questions. Even games could be made to make it really interesting.
Same with institutt. I never have had a possibility for institute (only a little bit for adults, but it died out, singles have theirs, but no familypersons are able to make the lessons once a week) and I would love to do that. Even in that there could be different levels. Or a defender institute... :cool:
OH and ofcourse that would be in Norwegean and Finnish and.....!
Scriptures4kids is a nice netsite for kids... should get somethign like that for youth too... maybe even adults (just not too difficult for us oldies).:rolleyes:
griffintj

In due time

Post by griffintj »

Seminaries and Institutes of Religion has been looking into options like the one you mention here. Due to the nature and difficulty of preparing and delivering online instruction for youth in a worldwide Church, many lessons still need to be learned before anything official becomes available. Just know that efforts are being made to eventually accomplish what you're describing--that will be an exciting day.

Tyler
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Maya wrote:I think it would be a good idea to have a seminary possibility on line. I live in a country wher there live only a few members close enough that the kids can attend the early morning seminary. In some cases the buss for school leaves before they get out of seminary... My youngest is out of seminary this spring. It has been a 4 year nightmare to get him up at 6 to go to the early morning seminary. We have been driving other kids to the seminary too, but all too many times he was left home sleeping (I think:D). My oldest son did not miss ONE day the last year of seminary, and not much other ways either! My youngest has nothin against seminary itself just getting up. :o
Anyway a possibility to do the seminary at home with computer woudl be a good sollution for many. Also a possible cam conferance could be nice, not just reading and answering the questions. Even games could be made to make it really interesting.
Same with institutt. I never have had a possibility for institute (only a little bit for adults, but it died out, singles have theirs, but no familypersons are able to make the lessons once a week) and I would love to do that. Even in that there could be different levels. Or a defender institute... :cool:
OH and ofcourse that would be in Norwegean and Finnish and.....!
Scriptures4kids is a nice netsite for kids... should get somethign like that for youth too... maybe even adults (just not too difficult for us oldies).:rolleyes:
Although I can't speak to the possibility of seminary on-line the Church DOES have a Seminary web site (http://seminary.lds.org) where study and teaching materials can be downloaded and put to good use. They're also available in many different languages.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
MayaML

Post by MayaML »

Thanks!:) It was my sons last seminary this morning... no moore early mornings!
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

I can't see why you couldn't use Skype or some similar service to hold seminary/institute at a local level with those that are a prohibitive distance from the seminary building. Even if the building doesn't have Internet, more and more places can make this happen with cellphones and tethering. So if it can't be done right now, you might be able to do it within the next year or two.
MayaML

Post by MayaML »

I think they need an official ok for doing that. Anyway people are very careful. Better not to do anything, than to do something wrong, seems like a good slogan in many cases.
fergie34-p40

On-line Seminary

Post by fergie34-p40 »

Starting with this past year the church is running a pilot program for Seminary on-line. My daughter just finished her first year using the on-line program. It took a little time for her to get use to it but after a week or two things went very well.
Has anyone else been involved with the pilot program? I would like to see how others feel about it.
Robert Ferguson
South Shore Ward, Plainview New York Stake
MayaML

Post by MayaML »

That is really nice to hear. Yesterday my son got his diploma for the 4 years. I hope the program will develop and help those that need it.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”