Paying for internet

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wrigjef

Paying for internet

Post by wrigjef »

I know this subject has been addressed here but I can not locate the thread. Our FM guy just told us that the stake is responsible for unit internet connections unless a FHC is involved in which case they pay. We have two building in the stake that have or need a broadband connection for MLS only. I am a stake financial clerk and wonder if I should use the "other-ward and stake telephone service" account to pay? I know that account is reimbursed from SL anyway. BTW in the stake center we never see an internet bill because we house the North America Area CES offices and the units including an FHC just use their wireless connection.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:I know this subject has been addressed here but I can not locate the thread. Our FM guy just told us that the stake is responsible for unit internet connections unless a FHC is involved in which case they pay. We have two building in the stake that have or need a broadband connection for MLS only. I am a stake financial clerk and wonder if I should use the "other-ward and stake telephone service" account to pay? I know that account is reimbursed from SL anyway. BTW in the stake center we never see an internet bill because we house the North America Area CES offices and the units including an FHC just use their wireless connection.
You must use the Budget category for any Internet connection expenses borne by the stake. Note that in the official letter Broadband Internet Services in Meetinghouses - U.S. and Canada it specifically says "local unit budgets."
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

OK I want to do this right. Now I am not sure if I am using that reimbursed other account correctly and I would like to check with you. After quite a bit of coordination, we got all of our unit phone bills going through Granite so we never see rugular phone bills. Our stake is an agent stake for Singles, Young Singles and CES and possibly some other stuff I don't know about. The President routinely does conference calls with other stake leaders for coordination, I have been paying for teleconferencing bills with that other account. Am I correct or should that be billed from a budget or something else?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I would suggest inspecting your financial statement. What major category does the charge show up in? Budget or Other? In the detail statement, if there is a corresponding transfer for each phone charge, then it is being paid for by CHQ and you can use the reimbursed other category. Otherwise, use your budget per Alan_Brown's post.

Just because you assign a charge to that category does not mean CHQ automatically reimburses you for the expense. If you are the stake clerk, you should be able to determine through the stake financial summary and/or the stake financial statement if you are being reimbursed or not (is the balance in your other account dropping or staying the same?)

If the bill is not sent to your stake president, then you are not the one paying for it and you do not have to enter it into MLS.
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

wrigjef wrote:Our FM guy just told us that the stake is responsible for unit internet connections unless a FHC is involved in which case they pay.

I am fairly certain that the Stake is now responsible for Internet connections at family history centers also. I apologize, but I cannot find the source document that says this.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mlh78 wrote:I am fairly certain that the Stake is now responsible for Internet connections at family history centers also. I apologize, but I cannot find the source document that says this.
I've heard someone else mention this rumor, but as far as I know, it is only that. I'm certain that there has been no general communication to stake presidents saying any such thing, and they would have to be notified if there were a change in this policy.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mlh78 wrote:I am fairly certain that the Stake is now responsible for Internet connections at family history centers also. I apologize, but I cannot find the source document that says this.
The policy documents we've seen indicate that the FM group pays for FHC access. I suspect rumors to the contrary are likely a misunderstanding of the later Meeting house Internet policy.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

crislapi wrote:I would suggest inspecting your financial statement. What major category does the charge show up in? Budget or Other? In the detail statement, if there is a corresponding transfer for each phone charge, then it is being paid for by CHQ and you can use the reimbursed other category. Otherwise, use your budget per Alan_Brown's post.

Just because you assign a charge to that category does not mean CHQ automatically reimburses you for the expense. If you are the stake clerk, you should be able to determine through the stake financial summary and/or the stake financial statement if you are being reimbursed or not (is the balance in your other account dropping or staying the same?)

If the bill is not sent to your stake president, then you are not the one paying for it and you do not have to enter it into MLS.

Unit phone bills I never see, They do not show up on a CUFS and I never know the amount. Bills for conferencing service come in to the Stake President and I pay them from the "Other-Stake and Ward Telephone Service" account and there is always a corresponding transfer to cover the charge (never an outstand balance in that account). Internet charges I do not see at this point because the two buildings we have with connections have FHC in one and CES area offices in another. Just wondering how to fund (which account) the other buildings that will have MLS only internet connections installed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wrigjef wrote:Just wondering how to fund (which account) the other buildings that will have MLS only internet connections installed.
From Broadband Internet Services in Meetinghouses:

"stake presidents in the United States and Canada Areas may authorize and fund, out of local unit budgets, broadband Internet connections for meetinghouses within their stakes." (emphasis added)

What sub-category of "budget" you choose to use is up to you. You may want to create your own sub-category in order to set aside budget funds. But the bottom line is, you will not be reimbursed for it. So "Other-Stake and Ward Telephone Service" would not be appropriate for these two buildings.

The church does pay for Internet for FHCs and CES.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
SheffieldTR
Community Moderators

Post by SheffieldTR »

Russell is correct. Official FHC Internet is still an FM expense. If the stake wants Internet somewhere else (either in the building or in another building) it is their expense to do so.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”