Two Suggestions

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
ComradeH-p40

Two Suggestions

Post by ComradeH-p40 »

I'm loving the new Gospel Library App. As I've been using it I have a couple of things that I would like to see added:

1. I would like to see the option to download the PDF versions of the church manuals. Mostly I'm thinking about the new Gospel Principles Manual. Where teachers tend to direct people to certain passages by page number (and I like to see the pictures) it makes it hard when you just have the text in front of you. I realize that the PDFs wouldn't have the cross-referencing abilities and some other features, but I'm willing to make the sacrifice (I would probably use PDFs for class and the text for personal study). All the PDFs are up on the Church website, so I think it would just be a matter of getting them downloaded and using the built in PDF viewer. This would also allow for sheet music to be included for the hymns (there is an app out there that does this).

2. Could an option be added to turn off the quick scrolling bar on the right or to move it to the left. I apparently use the very edge to scroll a lot more than I thought, so I keep jumping to random spots in chapters and lists.

Thanks, this is really a great product. Thank you to everyone who has worked on this.
-Scott
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ComradeH wrote:I'm loving the new Gospel Library App. . . .

1. I would like to see the option to download the PDF versions of the church manuals. Mostly I'm thinking about the new Gospel Principles Manual. . . .
I love it as well.

When I was at iTunes downloading Gospel Library, there was a link to Gospel Principles. It is also a free app and I downloaded it at the same time. It is a pdf with all the pictures that will expand in the iTouch window.

For other pdfs I have just downloaded them and view them the same way, but they are not separate apps.

I would be interested to know of a recommended pdf viewer for the iPhone or iTouch. I am using Dropbox, but would prefer something that will go from my pc to my iTouch, rather than storing all of the files out on an Internet server somewhere.

I would also like to find an app that will re-flow pdf files (if they are in text format and not totally image format).

But for now, I am thoroughly pleased with the new Gospel Library app from the Church. Thank you. Thank you.
Aganack-p40

Post by Aganack-p40 »

1. There currently is an option to download pdf's of the Gospel Principles. If you go to http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,49 ... -2,00.html
Under the PDF column the first icon right click on it and select "Save As" or "Save Link as" and then save the pdf... you can do that by chapter or the whole manual. You can do this for most church materials.
ComradeH-p40

Post by ComradeH-p40 »

Aganack wrote:1. There currently is an option to download pdf's of the Gospel Principles. If you go to http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,49 ... -2,00.html
Under the PDF column the first icon right click on it and select "Save As" or "Save Link as" and then save the pdf... you can do that by chapter or the whole manual. You can do this for most church materials.
Right, this is what I have been doing and viewing them in Documents to Go. What I would like is to have the PDFs within the Gospel Library app so that I can have one place for all of my gospel materials and can use the tabs feature to quickly switch between my scriptures and Gospel Principles. I guess once iPhone OS 4.0 comes out (and I buy a new iPod Touch that can use it), the second reason will be a moot point, thanks to multitasking.
ComradeH-p40

Post by ComradeH-p40 »

lajackson wrote:I would be interested to know of a recommended pdf viewer for the iPhone or iTouch. I am using Dropbox, but would prefer something that will go from my pc to my iTouch, rather than storing all of the files out on an Internet server somewhere.
I just mentioned it in my above reply, but I really like Documents to Go. You use a desktop app that lets it sync whatever files on your computer that you want. Thus, you can just put all of the PDFs on your computer and have it sync and you'll always have them. The PDF viewer is a little different because you have to click a button to go between pages (it has a few options for going through pages faster, though). This means it is only loading one pages one at a time, rather than the whole PDF, which is way better for my 1st gen iPod Touch. As a bonus, it lets you create and edit Microsoft Word and Excel documents and can even pull attachments from your email so you can edit them on the go. It is pretty nifty program and sounds like it might suit your needs pretty well.
garysturn

Post by garysturn »

There is another iPhone App called LDS Study Aid 2010 which includes the Gospel Principles Manual in full pages, including pages with photos. It loads a complete chapter all at once and allows fast scrolling and zooming in and out of full page mode. It even has the page numbers. It also includes all the talks from several recent General Conference's.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”