Photo upload now available to all in beta

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Photo upload now available to all in beta

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote: I can't see where I can upload the photos. The closest I can get is a "coming soon" link that does not work.
In the beta directory (https://beta.lds.org/directory) that was uploaded last night, any signed-in member can now add a household photo or individual photos.

I was able to upload a photo for my family and also one for me. Everything seemed to work pretty well, except the Member Photos area did not display the family photo. Both photos do show up in the My Family area and also in the Members directory when my family is selected. My individual photo also shows up in the Stake Leadership area (since I have a stake calling).

I know ward clerks have been able to add pictures for some time, but now this capability is available to far more people. Regular members can just edit their own family's profile. With this recent update, I can now add photos to any member of the stake -- I assume that is because I am an assistant stake clerk (but I am also the stake website administrator, so that might be a factor, too).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
LTORDUSA1-p40

Upload Photos

Post by LTORDUSA1-p40 »

The upload photos in the new Beta.LDS.Org does not work for me.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

Alan_Brown wrote:Everything seemed to work pretty well, except the Member Photos area did not display the family photo.
This works for me. I've had my family picture uploaded for quite some time, though.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

LTORDUSA1 wrote:The upload photos in the new Beta.LDS.Org does not work for me.
Can you be more specific? Before a picture will show up in the directory, a member with admin rights (clerks, bishopric, etc.) must approve it.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

LTORDUSA1 wrote:The upload photos in the new Beta.LDS.Org does not work for me.
Could you be more specific? At what point in the process do you have a problem?
  1. Sign in using your LDS Account
  2. Go to Tools > Directory
  3. Click on My Family
  4. You see the note that "You have rights to edit the family profile"
  5. Click the Edit Profile button
  6. By an individual's photo, you click the Choose File button
  7. In the popup, you click Continue and then Select Photo
  8. Browse to a photo an appropriate size (no bigger than 375x500) and type (jpg, gif, or png)
  9. Click Open, then Upload Now, then (after it uploads) Done
  10. The picture appears by the person's name
  11. Check the Show in Ward Directory check box
  12. See the picture in the Members list when your family is selected
I listed the steps for an individual, but they're quite similar for a household. Something could theoretically go wrong at any of those steps. Where exactly is the problem you are seeing?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

oregonmatt wrote:Can you be more specific? Before a picture will show up in the directory, a member with admin rights (clerks, bishopric, etc.) must approve it.
Is this approval really required now? My wife can login and add a picture for herself and it shows up immediately (at least it shows up for her, and also for me, but I suppose it's possible that others can't see it right away).
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

Alan_Brown wrote:Is this approval really required now? My wife can login and add a picture for herself and it shows up immediately (at least it shows up for her, and also for me, but I suppose it's possible that others can't see it right away).
I'm pretty sure it used to be and probably still is. I just uploaded another picture for a member of my family that didn't have one, and it showed up immediately for me.

There is an "admin" menu of "Upload Photos", "New Photos(<number>)", and "Manage Photos". The newly uploaded photo causes a (1) to appear after "New Photos". If I click on it, it says "Use the fields below each photo to assign the photo to a family or person in your branch." with the photo, name below and a green checkmark or red x. Hovering over the green checkmark gives the tooltip "Approve and Publish Photo Assignment".

I think (and hope) what is happening is that to avoid confusion, when someone uploads a picture, they can see it themselves, but it still must be approved to be seen by others. I've got to search out some more ward members to verify. :)
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

oregonmatt wrote:
Alan_Brown wrote:Is this approval really required now? My wife can login and add a picture for herself and it shows up immediately (at least it shows up for her, and also for me, but I suppose it's possible that others can't see it right away).
I'm pretty sure it used to be and probably still is. I just uploaded another picture for a member of my family that didn't have one, and it showed up immediately for me.
So it sounds like Alan may be able to see the picture because he is an admin (or clerk). The test would be for someone to upload a picture that is not an admin and then another non-admin to try and view it.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

ryan jones wrote:So it sounds like Alan may be able to see the picture because he is an admin (or clerk). The test would be for someone to upload a picture that is not an admin and then another non-admin to try and view it.
I just uploaded a picture for my family and my wife can see it. I need to get someone else in the ward to check to see if it is because she is in the same family or not.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ryan jones wrote:So it sounds like Alan may be able to see the picture because he is an admin (or clerk). The test would be for someone to upload a picture that is not an admin and then another non-admin to try and view it.
I already did most of that test.
Alan_Brown wrote:My wife can login and add a picture for herself and it shows up immediately (at least it shows up for her, and also for me, but I suppose it's possible that others can't see it right away).
Yes, it would be interesting to see if yet another non-admin can see the picture, but the immediate issue was trying to figure out why LTORDUSA1 couldn't upload. In my wife's case, she can clearly get beyond whatever issues he was having.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”