Hide Phone Number

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
sgtbrown26-p40

Hide Phone Number

Post by sgtbrown26-p40 »

Is there a way to hide just one member's phone number from showing up on ward list's and directories?
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

sgtbrown26 wrote:Is there a way to hide just one member's phone number from showing up on ward list's and directories?

Any member can suppress his/her phone number from appearing in the directory on the unit web site. I think the website adminstrator can also suppress it.

However, there is no way to suppress a phone number from appearing within MLS itself.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

boomerbubba wrote:However, there is no way to suppress a phone number from appearing within MLS itself.
Short of removing it from MLS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kh_design

individual phone number

Post by kh_design »

Currently only the household phone number show on directories. Individual phone numbers do not show on directories (although I wish they do), so for now you could move the household phone number to the individual's phone number.
kisaac
Community Moderators

MLS is limited in "opting Out" of a directory

Post by kisaac »

sgtbrown26 wrote:Is there a way to hide just one member's phone number from showing up on ward list's and directories?
Your question is broad. I assume you are talking of the directories/lists printed from MLS? Currently MLS doesn't have a "permissions" option for non-display of contact info that I've found. If a member objects to a listed phone number, ask "why" so you can correct your problem. Is the wrong number showing up on the wrong lists, or are they requesting DO NOT CONTACT?

If they don't want contact,
I leave the offending phone field in MLS blank, because there are many reports and lists that MLS generates that show "contact info". I know there are other options and opinions.

Is the wrong number showing up on the wrong lists? Look at the MLS contacts for the family and fix the problems: Common problems: MLS has "personal contact" cell phones of husband and wife swapped, so HT and VT leaders always call the wrong spouse. Or, The ward directory displays a members cell phone number, instead of a preferred family phone number, etc. Find and fix!

If it is for a ward directory you print and distribute
that is listing correct info, but that a member wishes to keep private, there's an easy fix available right now with the privacy options that come withwww.beta.lds.org, "Directory" tool. Sign in with your LDS account info, first, so it recognizes you, then Look under "tools" for the "directory." I think they plan to roll this out as 2010 progresses, but you can use what they have working right now as the beta test continues.

It allows each member to "edit" and update their own directory contact info for all personal and family emails and phones. It further allows members to choose which phone and email will display to ward members who access the directory. Thus, youth cell phones could be listed, but "checked" not to display to ward members. It also includes what might be called a "total opt-out" choice for the whole family, which I assume means they can choose not even to be displayed in the directory. Ward clerks can select these choices for any ward member.

When you print the ward directory from beta lds.org directory, Leaders get the option to include those who have "opted out," explained as below. Try the new "Meetinghouse Locator" tool, (beta lds maps,) also in beta testing, and make sure you sign in. It also has a similar "opt out" option for those who want it, with leaders being able to either display all or just those who have authorized it.

From www.beta.lds.org "directory" print help:
Print Confidential Household Data

Some confidential information can be included or excluded when ward leaders print a list.
Confidential information includes:
  • Request not to show (those who want their information hidden from other ward members).
You can choose to include or exclude confidential information when you print.
You can filter what information is printed. If you filter the printout, the printout includes those households that are in the category.
To filter your printout:
  1. Click Display Options at the top of the list of members.
  2. Under Households that Opt Out, click the options to:
    • Hide all households (including those that choose to opt out) or include those households that choose to opt out.

Return to “Membership Help”