Making a text file from abbreviated directory

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ffrsqpilot

Making a text file from abbreviated directory

Post by ffrsqpilot »

I know this has probably been discussed here but I'm a bit brain dead today and can't find what I am particularly looking for.

Prior to the recent updates to MLS (way back in 3.1.? or so) we were able to save the STAKE abbreviated file to disk (thumb drive) as a csv file and change the extension to a txt file. Apparently the newer version of MLS 3.1.5 does not offer that option anymore.

I am trying to figure this out for one of our Stake Presidency councilors and the abbreviated file is obviously a large one (includes the entire stake of 3700 members). We can save it as a pdf file and can work around it but saving it as a txt file (if that makes sense) allows the councilor to manipulate the data in an excel file where as it becomes quite cumbersome working out of a pdf file.

I probably didn't explain this very well, so if someone understands what I am trying to do I'm willing to accept all and any help.

Jim
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Pilotfly wrote:Prior to the recent updates to MLS (way back in 3.1.? or so) we were able to save the STAKE abbreviated file to disk (thumb drive) as a csv file and change the extension to a txt file. Apparently the newer version of MLS 3.1.5 does not offer that option anymore.
If I understand you correctly, you are trying to create a stake abbreviated directory (in Stake MLS, go to Abbreviated Directory under Reports/Forms). Then you want to save that report as a CSV.

You can do that from the Abbreviated Directory by using the menu Edit > Copy to File, or by clicking on one of the rows and doing Ctrl+Shift+S.

I don't see a way to change the extension to anything other than CSV from within MLS, but of course that is easy enough to do from the file system if you don't like the CSV extension (but I personally think .csv is a much better choice than .txt).

The functionality I explained above has been around for ages, and certainly did not change anywhere in 3.1.x, so maybe you're thinking of something else. If I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to do, please try to explain it another way.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

Alan_Brown wrote:I don't see a way to change the extension to anything other than CSV from within MLS, but of course that is easy enough to do from the file system if you don't like the CSV extension (but I personally think .csv is a much better choice than .txt).

Since the saved file is tab-delimited rather than comma-delimited in this case, I prefer a .txt extension. (Some purists still recall that CSV originally meant Comma Separated Values.) But whatever your preference, it certainly is easy to change the extension in the file system.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

boomerbubba wrote:Since the saved file is tab-delimited rather than comma-delimited in this case, I prefer a .txt extension. (Some purists still recall that CSV originally meant Comma Separated Values.) But whatever your preference, it certainly is easy to change the extension in the file system.
Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten that the Save to File option created a tab-delimited file. So I would agree that .txt is more accurate.

Personally, I always just copy to clipboard and paste into a spreadsheet, so this quirk of MLS is irrelevant to me.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

Alan, what I guess I meant to say - is that when you call up the abbreviated file, you could go to the "File" tab in the upper left corner of the page and then go to "save". The save function is no longer listed as an option in the "File" menu.

You did however give me the idea of just copy to file in place of the save function. I just didn't think of it in that manner. I do wonder however why the "save" function under the File menu is no longer available.

In anycase, thanks for the help. I am sure I can meet the councilors needs by going the copy to file route and then save as a txt file.

Jim
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Pilotfly wrote:Alan, what I guess I meant to say - is that when you call up the abbreviated file, you could go to the "File" tab in the upper left corner of the page and then go to "save". The save function is no longer listed as an option in the "File" menu.
There has never been a Save option on the File menu in MLS. The Save to File option has always been on the Edit menu. I know of no change in this area.
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

Well I guess that's why I was unable to find it! :o

I know though in the past I was able to save a file to a disk or thumb drive and then change the extension to txt rather than csv. I don't remember doing it via copy to file but then it's been awhile so perhaps that is the way and I just don't recall - any way solution found and councilor should be happy.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Save the steps, make your life easy...

Post by kisaac »

Alan_Brown wrote:Personally, I always just copy to clipboard and paste into a spreadsheet, so this quirk of MLS is irrelevant to me.
Alan_Brown's method, "copy to clipboard" would save you the most steps to get your list from MLS into excel format...and avoid the csv / txt files output step...

For those who don't use this process yet, it really increases the power of MLS, as a spreadsheet allows you to further sort and report and graph your data: Pull up the directory (or any report in MLS,) select all data wanted, then from MLS Menu bar select "copy to clipboard" instead of "copy to file," then open up excel (or openoffice) spreadsheet and "paste." Now you just manipulate it and save your spreadsheet in your desired format.

I use this all the time as well. You say it is the whole stake, and I'm not sure, however, if there is a data size limit to how much you can copy to the clipboard in one action.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kisaac wrote:You say it is the whole stake, and I'm not sure, however, if there is a data size limit to how much you can copy to the clipboard in one action.
I copy large amounts of stake data all the time from MLS to spreadsheets, and I've never bumped up against any limits, even on reports that contain 3000 individual stake members.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”