iMormon.org

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
Adavis-p40

iMormon.org

Post by Adavis-p40 »

How about an app that contains scripture verses, mormon message videos, talks, and perfect answers to general questions about the church?

Wouldn't it be neat to pull out an app (not really called what the thread title is) that has everything you need in case you have a sudden missionary opportunity?

It could have a menu to different FAQs or topics, or a library of resources to choose from.

This can include mormon messages, church DVD publications (who WOULDN'T want the Testaments on their mobile device? Not just for missionary help, but for personal enjoyment)

This is just an idea of mine, but i realize it may be quite difficult to do.

>>also make the Gospel Library for iPad please!
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

First on the iPad. The Gospel Library app should work on the iPad, while it was in development before we really knew of the iPad, Apple said that all apps for the iPhone that existed in the app store already should work with it. Let us know if for some reason something doesn't, in the Gospel Library area in the forums.

Does anyone also know, are the videos on mormon.org viewable on the iPhone? Other content on mormon.org or even lds.org, etc., from the Church, viewable? Do other smartphone users have any problems or is it all viewable on your devices too?

Conference is up on Youtube, go to http://www.youtube.com/mormonmessages and they are on the right, all the talks from April, so that can be seen in nearly every smartphone browser.

I have a couple ideas on how to spread the word about the Church and its message via iPhones and so forth, so knowing this could be very useful.
russelljd

Post by russelljd »

JamesAnderson wrote:Does anyone also know, are the videos on mormon.org viewable on the iPhone? Other content on mormon.org or even lds.org, etc., from the Church, viewable? Do other smartphone users have any problems or is it all viewable on your devices too?
All of the content on Mormon.org is presented in a flash player and therefore won't play on the iPhone/iPad. To get around this you can use Public Affairs video site (http://publicaffairs.lds.org/pa/eng/res ... eo-library) that has a lot of the content from Mormon.org (and other sites) available in a MP4 format for download.

As far as lds.org, some the content comes in the Flash player but most of it is available as MP4s that will play on the iPhone.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Does the mp4 format play on other devices, including Androids, Blackberries, Nokias, etc.? I think the only one that would not would be Windows Mobile on account of some of the media format wars going on right now.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

FWIW, Flash is not yet available on Android (the page says it's coming "first half of 2010"). But somehow it has a YouTube app.

I'm sure the iPhone can play YouTube as well as I've seen comparisons made between iPhone and Droid on that point.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
theotherdrummer-p40

Post by theotherdrummer-p40 »

While all the content may be available somewhere online via smartphone, I think Adavis has a point that having it in once place, easily accessible, on hand and easy to switch from one thing to another would be a great tool.

You don't want your friend to sit around for 2-3 minutes while you search for a video that's compatible and then wait for it to load.

Re: Gospel Library on iPad - Yes, the iPhone app will technically run on the iPad. But the experience could be completely revamped for the iPad to take advantage of the extra space and UI elements that could be incorporated.

Also, is there an Ensign/Liahona/New Era app on the way? I'd love to download those and have them with me. But maybe that's a topic for a different thread. :)
@theotherdrummer
russelljd

Post by russelljd »

I believe that MP4s won't play on BlackBerry devices. YouTube plays on most handhelds devices...they use different methods to stream the media depending on the device OS. I.E. streaming h.264 for the iPhone, RTSP streaming on the BlackBerry, etc. That's the nice thing about videos on YouTube--they've already done all of the leg work to make it compatible with most devices. For an individual to do that they would have to make several different encodes.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”