"Deposit less than call" for cash deposit

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
bedone

"Deposit less than call" for cash deposit

Post by bedone »

I have an adjustment on my March statement that says "Deposit less than call." The amount is $0.10.

I have only run into this problem once before, when a check didn't make it into the deposit bag. In that case it was easy to figure out because the amount of the adjustment matched the donation, we confirmed the check hadn't cleared, and then it was just a matter of finding the check. In the meantime we adjusted off that donation.

In this case, we don't have a donation for ten cents, so I'm thinking it's one of the following:

1) A dime somehow didn't make it into the deposit bag

2) A check was made out for ten cents less than the amount on the donation slip, and both the bishopric member and I missed it.

Any thoughts on how to identify and fix this error? I know it's only ten cents, but I want to get it properly taken care of.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Another scenario is a check was written for $##.10 in the box but then when writing out the amount in long hand, they left off the cents. In this case, the bank cashes the check for the amount written out in long hand.

I would recommend starting by reviewing this post. It deals with a similar issue, just opposite sign (greater than call).
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

bedonein71 wrote:Any thoughts on how to identify and fix this error? I know it's only ten cents, but I want to get it properly taken care of.
First thing I would do is pull the slips for that batch and compare them to what was actually entered into MLS.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

bedonein71 wrote:I have an adjustment on my March statement that says "Deposit less than call." The amount is $0.10.

Any thoughts on how to identify and fix this error? I know it's only ten cents, but I want to get it properly taken care of.
Did the adjustment go to your "Other" account? I had a "Deposit greater than call" last month of only 4 cents. I thought I was going to have to somehow chase it down, but it was (thankfully) credited to the Tithing account and promptly disappeared into headquarters. This thread may answer my question about how small a discrepancy we'd have to investigate. I was wracking my brain about where even to start looking for a 4 cent discrepancy. :eek:
nbllds-p40

Post by nbllds-p40 »

I saw this same thing on a CUFS a few months back. I should have just asked my Stake Financial Clerk, but instead I called church headquarters and asked them about it. They said that anything under a certain amount (I think it was $10) they just take care of. There was no action to do on my part. I guess they figure that it costs more to track those kinds of things down than it does to just make the adjustment.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

nbllds wrote:They said that anything under a certain amount . . . they just take care of.
While this is true, you may still want to track down what actually happened, and watch to see that they really do take care of it, so that your records will be in balance.
slmsz20

Post by slmsz20 »

Also,

The Stake Finance Clerk will review the deposits for the previous year after the Tithing reports have been submitted (sometime after January 31). Deposit discrepancies will be listed on the report sent by Church HQ which the Clerk will compare to the year-end deposit report submitted by each Ward. The church should take care of the small stuff (big stuff will probably end up in your other category).

Subject to change pending the CUBS deployment.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”