Proposed Icon for Android Gospel Library

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
swliddle

Proposed Icon for Android Gospel Library

Post by swliddle »

I saw the icon with the round background, no desktop, no book. It doesn't seem to match the Android look and feel. Maybe if we shaded the sphere behind the angel Moroni and added a Android-style border and shadow that could work well. But I don't have the higher-res angel to work with and try it out.

Take a look at the attached icons and see what you think. I've taken the original icon, cropped it, rounded the corners, and put a solid single-pixel border at the edge, and added the shadow as specified in the Icon Design Guidelines, Android 2.0 (it's pretty specific about shading -- the original icon does a good job at shading the book in a reasonably Android-compliant way).

I think this version works pretty well, but I'd like to hear your thoughts. There is some benefit to having elements of consistency across the Mobile Gospel Library family too.
Attachments
gl_icon_72.png
gl_icon_72.png (6.71 KiB) Viewed 3266 times
gl_icon_48.png
gl_icon_48.png (3.21 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
gl_icon_36.png
gl_icon_36.png (2.2 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
swliddle

Post by swliddle »

Here's a round icon to compare with. I extracted Moroni from Default.png in the iPhone project. The blue in this icon comes from Android's recommended palette (3366cc). This also has the Android-standard lighting/shading and drop shadow.
Attachments
round_icon_gl_72.png
round_icon_gl_72.png (7.5 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
round_icon_gl_48.png
round_icon_gl_48.png (4.16 KiB) Viewed 3202 times
round_icon_gl_36.png
round_icon_gl_36.png (2.67 KiB) Viewed 3203 times
jackcholt

Post by jackcholt »

It feels like the first post in this thread is in response to something someone said about a proposed icon that has a sphere behind the angel. Am I missing something? I like the rounded rectangle more than your version of the sphere.
swliddle

Post by swliddle »

jackcholt wrote:It feels like the first post in this thread is in response to something someone said about a proposed icon that has a sphere behind the angel. Am I missing something? I like the rounded rectangle more than your version of the sphere.
Yes, I was reacting to the gl_icon_36_no_book.png that was added to the res/drawable folder. I committed a copy of the rounded-rectangle icons (which I also happen to like better) in the graphics folder. If we agree that this is the icon to use, we should move them into the drawable folder and set the manifest to use them. BTW, I think 1.5 should use a 48-pixel icon by default, not 36.

Also, I suggest we delete unused graphics from drawable folder.
jackcholt

Post by jackcholt »

I have replaced the graphics and deleted the round one. The round one didn't seem true enough to the graphic we got from the church or the Android standards.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”