Technology

Having a problem with the Forum? Or feedback about the forum? This is the place.
ojm-p40

Technology

Post by ojm-p40 »

So, Microsoft tools (I know, up front $$$$) were not considered? I know open source is cheaper out of the box, but what about finding developers? What about support? What about longevity?

Thanks,
Owen
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

We looked very closely at SharePoint to be used for our CMS and Forum software but it did not have the moderation capabilities that we needed to have with out a lot of custom programming. IIS was considered for a server platform but we felt we could achieve the same results without the additional expenditure. We are not against using MS tools as we do use a lot of them internally. For this project the open source tools fit our needs.

Tom
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

And having alot of experience with forum software as an end user, this has proven to be the best choice for the software as wlel.

I've seen ProBoards, phpBB, and several others, but none have the look and feel of this one, this one has a very professional look to it. It is also the best choice I've seen so far for places that are looking for professionalism in look and feel as well. Works extremely well on all counts.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

I also agree that this site looks very professional and as tom said
SharePoint to be used for our CMS and Forum software but it did not have the moderation capabilities that we needed to have with out a lot of custom programming. IIS was considered for a server platform but we felt we could achieve the same results without the additional expenditure.
And as Joel said during his presentation, they have to justify the expenditures that they make with the Lord's money. I think you guys are doing a great job.
- David
JasonG-p40

Post by JasonG-p40 »

thedqs wrote:And as Joel said during his presentation, they have to justify the expenditures that they make with the Lord's money. I think you guys are doing a great job.
Indeed. Wonderful site, wonderful feel, and a wonderful idea.

Return to “Help with this forum”