Addition of Stake Camp Website

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
mzundel

Addition of Stake Camp Website

Post by mzundel »

I am trying to add a link on the Stake part of the Stake and Ward websites to point to our official stake camp website. The website is located at bigo.byu.edu (with a non-standard http port). When I try to add it as a link, I get the message "You have put in an unauthorized URL."

I believe this is an official website. It has the Church logo as well as the same look and feel.

How can we get this URL authroized?

The need is so that our stake members have an easier way to see when the camp is being used.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

mzundel wrote:I am trying to add a link on the Stake part of the Stake and Ward websites to point to our official stake camp website. The website is located at bigo.byu.edu (with a non-standard http port). When I try to add it as a link, I get the message "You have put in an unauthorized URL."

I believe this is an official website. It has the Church logo as well as the same look and feel.

How can we get this URL authroized?

The need is so that our stake members have an easier way to see when the camp is being used.
The church has a very limited number of approved sites that may be added to the ward/stake web sites. I assume you are the STS for the stake, so you could contact the Global Services desk and inquire, or else use the Feedback system of the web site. I would agree that a BYU.EDU site should be considered as official, but the brethren may have different ideas.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Techgy wrote: you could contact the Global Services desk and inquire
It's my understanding that all Local Unit Website issues go through Local Unit Support, not through the Global Service Desk.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Alan_Brown wrote:It's my understanding that all Local Unit Website issues go through Local Unit Support, not through the Global Service Desk.
Thanks for the correction. I should add that in order for your feedback to be sent to CHQ you must be on the Stake Web Site AND have your administrator functions enabled (green pages). If you do not follow this procedure your feedback will be sent to the stake admin, which may be yourself.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
srweight

I added the link to Resources . . .

Post by srweight »

I added the link to Resources as a head and added instructions to copy it and paste it as the URL - and warned users not to click on it as a resource.
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

How about using a URL shorting service like bit.ly or goo.gl and then posting the short URL?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dshep2020 wrote:How about using a URL shorting service like bit.ly or goo.gl and then posting the short URL?
The issue here is that the Ward and Stake websites only allow a very restricted set of domains, such as anything.lds.org, anything.familysearch.org, providentliving.org, etc. A fairly complete list is on the wiki at Church Websites. Unfortunately, not even all Church websites are allowed.

But bit.ly and goo.gl aren't on the whitelist, so they aren't allowed on the list of Additional Web Resources. So your suggestion doesn't fix the problem.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”