What is Stored on the Automatic and CHQ MLS Backups

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
cws33-p40

What is Stored on the Automatic and CHQ MLS Backups

Post by cws33-p40 »

I haven't had any need for using backups. However, I got to wondering what information is saved on the MLS backups. I see that the membership database is automatically backed up. Does that meaning _only_ membership data? More specifically are the monthly home/visiting teaching numbers also backed up at CHQ and on the local machine? If I were to request a data refresh would that include home/visiting teaching, and other organizational information? Thanks.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

cws33 wrote:I haven't had any need for using backups. However, I got to wondering what information is saved on the MLS backups. I see that the membership database is automatically backed up. Does that meaning _only_ membership data? More specifically are the monthly home/visiting teaching numbers also backed up at CHQ and on the local machine? If I were to request a data refresh would that include home/visiting teaching, and other organizational information? Thanks.
I think you are really asking two different questions. There is a MLS backup that is sent up to Church headquarters (I believe monthly). This backup is a full backup just like your local backups.

The data refresh is a different option. It requests all the data the church has and replaces what the local copy is. It gets all the membership data. It also gets all the calling data.
cws33-p40

Post by cws33-p40 »

So if I understand correctly when the backups are made both the local copy and the copy sent to church headquarters contain not only the membership data but all of the callings and the home and visiting teaching numbers as well. Is that correct? I'm not exactly sure what is kept on either backup. Thanks.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

cws33 wrote:I haven't had any need for using backups. However, I got to wondering what information is saved on the MLS backups.
The entire database is saved locally when you do a backup. These local backups can restore the entire database when needed. As ryan jones stated there is also a backup sent to CHQ monthly. Exactly when that monthly backup is sent is different for each unit.
cws33 wrote:I see that the membership database is automatically backed up.
Do not confuse the transmittal of membership data to CHQ with a backup. While individual membership data can be retrieved from CHQ by doing a data refresh it is not complete. Missing will be temporary membership records, out of unit records, non-standard positions and anything else that is only kept on the local MLS database.
cws33 wrote:More specifically are the monthly home/visiting teaching numbers also backed up at CHQ and on the local machine?
All data is backed up when a backup is made. This includes the monthly backup sent to CHQ. There are three local backup copies that should be kept. The first is the copy kept on the hard drive. These are the most used copies for replacing corrupt data. The second copy should be kept on a removable media such as a USB memory stick. This copy should be stored in a locked location such as a locking filing cabinet. The third copy is the off site copy. This is the copy most people tend to forget or ingore since it is the least frequently needed copy. It is also the only copy besides the monthly CHQ copy that will be available for natural disasters such as fires, floods, earthquakes that destroy the first two backup copies.
cws33 wrote:If I were to request a data refresh would that include home/visiting teaching, and other organizational information?
A data refresh will include individual membership data, household data, standard positions stored in CDOL, geographical information, temple recommend information, and boundary realignments. Missing will be temporary membership records, out of unit records, non-standard positions, HT/VT records, custom classes, custom class assignments, financial data, and so on.

Monthly Church unit financial statements are not stored with the MLS backup since they are not part of the database. Normally this is not a problem because printed copies should be filed and electronic copies can be requested from CHQ.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
cws33-p40

Post by cws33-p40 »

Great. Thank you for your help.
freedom55

Post by freedom55 »

jdlessley wrote:Monthly Church unit financial statements are not stored with the MLS backup since they are not part of the database. Normally this is not a problem because printed copies should be filed and electronic copies can be requested from CHQ.

Hi jdlessley,

I wonder if the backups capture more data than they used to? I recently had one of our wards send me a copy of their MLS backup file so I could resolve a financial problem they were having. I was able to open and view their monthly CUFS without any problem.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Freedom55 wrote:I wonder if the backups capture more data than they used to? I recently had one of our wards send me a copy of their MLS backup file so I could resolve a financial problem they were having. I was able to open and view their monthly CUFS without any problem.
It is possible that the backups are now including the CUFS. I have not checked recently to see what has been included since the release of version 3.0. If the backup file you used to restore from a clean install of MLS was in the format [unit number]-YYYY-MM-DD.bak and the CUFSs were there then they certainly have been included.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
freedom55

Post by freedom55 »

Yes, that seems to be the case. :)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jdlessley wrote:It is possible that the backups are now including the CUFS.
Backups that used to run around 1 meg are now running around 2 meg. This could be one of the reasons why.
greggo

Post by greggo »

jdlessley wrote:A data refresh will include individual membership data, household data, standard positions stored in CDOL, geographical information, temple recommend information, and boundary realignments. Missing will be temporary membership records, out of unit records, non-standard positions, HT/VT records, custom classes, custom class assignments, financial data, and so on.
For clarity, would a data refresh wipe out those things you mention as missing?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”