Beta Maps Site

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
mmacconnell

Beta Maps Site

Post by mmacconnell »

I have gone to the beta maps site and used it a couple of times. I have even gone through and verified all the address. Now when I go back to the beta site it is not working properly. It will load the Ward boundaries, but when it starts to load the locations of all the housholds in the ward IE will hang.

The website address I am using is beta-maps.lds.org.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

mmacconnell wrote:I have gone to the beta maps site and used it a couple of times. I have even gone through and verified all the address. Now when I go back to the beta site it is not working properly. It will load the Ward boundaries, but when it starts to load the locations of all the housholds in the ward IE will hang.

The website address I am using is beta-maps.lds.org.
You need to keep in mind that the program is still in BETA, as noted by its web site URL. I would recommend that you use the feedback feature on the site and report the issue. This is the quickest method of reporting a problem, as we cannot guarantee that the programmers of the site are monitoring this web forum.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
bdayley

Post by bdayley »

mmacconnell wrote:The website address I am using is beta-maps.lds.org.
Wow, I had no idea this existed! Very cool. It actually prompted me to sign up for a forum account just to suggest one thing:

If there could be some sort of option to view the whole stake (not just your ward), that would amazing. I'm thinking along the lines of emergency preparedness planning. I'm in CA, so earthquake planning is always on someone's mind. To have everything for the stake would really be awesome.

Thanks for this work. It looks great so far, even for a beta.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

bbdd wrote:If there could be some sort of option to view the whole stake (not just your ward), that would amazing.
That is has been available since the beta release in November 2009. To view the stake boundaries you must be signed onto the site. Then at the My Ward tab make sure the "Show resources and services assigned to ward on map" option is checked. Click the link for your stake. If the boundary is not displayed click the "Zoom to > Stake boundary" just above the households names list.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
bdayley

Post by bdayley »

jdlessley wrote:That is has been available since the beta release in November 2009. To view the stake boundaries you must be signed onto the site. Then at the My Ward tab make sure the "Show resources and services assigned to ward on map" option is checked. Click the link for your stake. If the boundary is not displayed click the "Zoom to > Stake boundary" just above the households names list.
While this does, in fact, show the stake boundary, I was hoping to see the members as well. :-)
robartsd

Post by robartsd »

I find it interesting that as a member I can submit corrections to locations of church facilities but not my own residence.

Our institute building is accessed from a road after it enters campus, but the geo-coded location is always just at the edge of campus several hundred yards away. I can click on the icon for the institute, click move, click on the roof of the building, can click submit. A line is drawn indicating the correction that I submitted.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

robartsd wrote:I find it interesting that as a member I can submit corrections to locations of church facilities but not my own residence.
Although I can see your point, I would guess it is a matter of handling volume efficiently. Corrections to locations of church facilities will be on the order of hundreds, perhaps thousands. The regular Church departments can handle that load. But corrections to individual homes could be on the order of tens or hundreds of thousands, and there are good reasons why a ward or stake would want to control consistency.

I suppose the Church could set things up so that corrections submitted by individual members were sent to ward clerks rather than to a central Church department, but that would complicate the feedback mechanism. Nonetheless, I can see how that would be a helpful improvement at some point.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
bschecketts-p40

Tools for Emergency Planning

Post by bschecketts-p40 »

I'm the emergency planning coordinator for my ward and this tool is useful for visualizing where members are located. I told a member of my bishopric about the beta site and he signed in and noticed that he had some options for assigning households to emergency response groups, and it sounded like he could mark locations as verified or something.

Is there any way that the bishopric can note that I'm able to perform some of those actions as well?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bschecketts wrote:Is there any way that the bishopric can note that I'm able to perform some of those actions as well?
As far as I know, currently address verification can be done only be actual bishopric members or ward clerks (including assistants). That seems like an appropriate restriction to me.

But it does seem reasonable for people with callings related to emergency preparedness (who very often are not clerks) to be able to modify the emergency prep information on the site. It's not possible right now, but it would be a good enhancement.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jlstoddard

Where Do You Verify Address?

Post by jlstoddard »

I AM Ward Clerk, and have yet to find a place within MLS to 'Verify An Address'

Am I just having a "Male Moment"?

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”