MLS Date not matching System Date.

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
rdavies

MLS Date not matching System Date.

Post by rdavies »

One of the members of a bishopric called to ask what to do with a message that they must date the check after the May 1, 2010 date of their last check? Tuesday while in MLS they noticed the date had changed to April 30, 2010. System date was correct, March 31, 2010, in Setup and in Windows but not in MLS.

Second issue. How can I verify anything I do with MLS? As the STS, I have no login rights at any level to the software. How is it possible to troubleshoot problems and verify solutions?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rdavies wrote:Second issue. How can I verify anything I do with MLS? As the STS, I have no login rights at any level to the software. How is it possible to troubleshoot problems and verify solutions?
Either you have someone there who has a MLS login while you troubleshoot the problem, or you have the ward add you as a "out of unit administrator".

Either way is acceptable.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rdavies wrote:One of the members of a bishopric called to ask what to do with a message that they must date the check after the May 1, 2010 date of their last check? Tuesday while in MLS they noticed the date had changed to April 30, 2010. System date was correct, March 31, 2010, in Setup and in Windows but not in MLS.
Someone may have a better theory, but I'm guessing that someone goofed with the System Date, and then set it back once MLS started but before calling you. Check this Wiki article.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

rdavies wrote:Second issue. How can I verify anything I do with MLS? As the STS, I have no login rights at any level to the software. How is it possible to troubleshoot problems and verify solutions?
RussellHltn wrote:Either you have someone there who has a MLS login while you troubleshoot the problem, or you have the ward add you as a "out of unit administrator".

Either way is acceptable.
As Russell points out you should have access to MLS. To carry out your responsibilities you as the STS are required to have appropriate passwords to all Church computers and software in the stake (see CHI, Book 1, p 141). The restriction with access to ward and stake MLS software is that "[a]ssistant stake clerks should not access confidential membership and financial records, except as requested by a bishop or the stake president." (See Policies and Guidelines for Computers Used by Clerks for Church Record Keeping, 18 August 2009)
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mamadsen

Post by mamadsen »

We added a Stake Admin user in MLS to all administrative computers for just such occasions. The stake doesn't access the ward computers unless someone from the ward is there (we wouldn't be there unless they requested help). :D
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

MRK wrote:We added a Stake Admin user in MLS to all administrative computers for just such occasions. The stake doesn't access the ward computers unless someone from the ward is there (we wouldn't be there unless they requested help).
That's fine if that's your stake's policy, but there is no Church policy reason why someone from the ward has to be there. Back when we had to install quarterly anti-virus updates on each computer, I always just did the updates by myself. I also do that if there is a large MLS update that I need to install to avoid long downloads on a Sunday. I do these things within my calling as STS, and I have seen no reason to bother the ward clerks with having to be present -- that would just be a waste of their time and my time.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mamadsen

Post by mamadsen »

Alan_Brown wrote:That's fine if that's your stake's policy, but there is no Church policy reason why someone from the ward has to be there.
That is true, however, I was more specifically addressing troubleshooting issues within MLS.
Alan_Brown wrote:Back when we had to install quarterly anti-virus updates on each computer, I always just did the updates by myself. I also do that if there is a large MLS update that I need to install to avoid long downloads on a Sunday. I do these things within my calling as STS, and I have seen no reason to bother the ward clerks with having to be present -- that would just be a waste of their time and my time.
We do this as well in our stake. My point being that there are two levels of access for the STS and Stake Clerks: computer access and MLS access. We usually have one of the stake clerks help with troubleshooting issues within MLS because they are more familiar with MLS than the STS.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”