MP3 Artwork

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
mkpolansky

MP3 Artwork

Post by mkpolansky »

I have downloaded the most recent sessions of General Conference and am in a bit of a quandary. In previous year's Confernces, the artwork (a photo of the speaker) was unique to each talk and synced accordingly with my iPod touch; however this last weekend's is not cooperating. While the photo is unique in iTunes, when synced, it is only displaying one photo for a sessions and talks.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

By any chance, were prior conferences one MP3 per speaker and played as a "album" and this conference was one MP3 for the entire session?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkpolansky

Post by mkpolansky »

The prior conferences were downloaded using the zip file for the entire session. When unzipped, it is unpacked as individual speakers; this was true for the previous conferences as well as this most recent one.

In the category of "for what it's worth", I tried using another iTouch this morning with the same result. The weird thing is that iTunes shows the photo for the speaker, so one would assume it would be carried over to the device. It appears as though the "album" artwork is what is staying on the device, in this case it is the artwork from the first file that hits the iTouch.

Hopefully this makes sense...
mkpolansky

Post by mkpolansky »

I thought I might throw in one more thing if it helps. I took the same files and imported them to my BlackBerry; the BlackBerry recognizes that the artwork is different for each speaker/file. So it would appear as though it is an iTouch issue? :confused:
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

MKPolansky wrote:So it would appear as though it is an iTouch issue? :confused:
Did you update the iTouch since the last conference, or can you confirm that it still behaves that way for the older conference files? Are there any settings on the iTouch that might be a issue? Perhaps a preference for album art?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkpolansky

Post by mkpolansky »

I deleted the Fall 2009 sessions off of two different iTouches and then using iTunes reloaded the sessions to both devices; in both cases, the artwork came over unique to each speaker/file.

I don't know how often Apple updates the software, but it is running the most recent version.

There are no setting on the iTouch to adjust for album art in the music settings.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Clearly there's more then one place artwork can be saved. It appears that the 2010 conference has artwork at two levels and somehow the iTouch has a different "preference" for which one it picks. Sorry, I wish I had more time to dig into this.

russelljd

Post by russelljd »

The ID3 tag specification provides for different image types. Previously, they were stored in as image type 00 "Other" and they are now being stored as file type 03 "Cover (Front)". This was a change for this General Conference. Thanks for making us aware of the problem and we will look into it.
mkpolansky

Post by mkpolansky »

So to get around this, could I copy and paste the picture back into the individual "song"?
russelljd

Post by russelljd »

You can try doing that with iTunes. I'm not sure if that will work. One way to fix it is using a piece of software named ID3 Tag-It. It is freeware and lets you specify the image type when attaching a piece of cover art.

In the next couple of weeks we will be going back through all of the media and re-tagging it to correct the problem.

Return to “General Discussions”