satellite audio and video not in sync in chapel

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
tpark23

satellite audio and video not in sync in chapel

Post by tpark23 »

We have a newer building (less than 2 years) and when I broadcast any satellite transmission in the chapel using a projector, the audio is ahead of the video. I've called Local Unit Support but they're not familiar with this issue.

It seems as though the RF out in some of the classrooms are closer to being synced than the Composite or RCA jacks.

Has anybody had this issue and if so, what did you do to fix it?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Sync is a digital issue. Maybe your rack is different, but in mine, the only digital device is the receiver and the DVD recorder. Is the feed for your projector running though a DVR/DVD device? I suspect that's the problem. It would have worked fine with a VCR, but when it got replaced with a DVD recorder ....

Also, depending on your projector, it might be adding a delay. Check the menu settings.

You can also try power cycling the receiver to clear it out, but if the RF outs are in sync, I doubt if it's a receiver issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tpark23

More about building audio.

Post by tpark23 »

More info.

My satellite cabinet is in the library, a good 120 feet from the chapel. It appears that the audio, which goes through the audio cabinet in the chapel, is accelerated. I have a DVD recorder in my cabinet which is also composite. When recording a broadcast, the video seems to be relatively synced. There is a slight delay, probably undetected by most, but when I turn the volume down on the TV, and turn up the volume on the chapel speaker (located in the library), the audio is accelerated substantially.

I currently don't have any device with an RF Input that has a composite output. So, is it possible to slow do the audio in the chapel?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the advice and help in advance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tpark23 wrote:I have a DVD recorder in my cabinet which is also composite. When recording a broadcast, the video seems to be relatively synced. There is a slight delay, probably undetected by most, but when I turn the volume down on the TV, and turn up the volume on the chapel speaker (located in the library), the audio is accelerated substantially.
I strongly suspect the TV in the rack is on the output of the DVD recorder. This is so you can use it to program the recorder. But the DVD is delaying the signal to the TV as it has to do a A/D and then a D/A conversation. On my unit I hear it as a delay, like a large auditorium. Your model may be different. If you've engaged the time-shift feature, the delay could several seconds, even hours.

The real question is what is it like in the chapel? Unless they are getting video from the DVD recorder (perhaps so it would be easy to do playback) they won't see any problems. Let's make sure there really is a problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tpark23

Post by tpark23 »

I guess I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to. The video is going directly from the satellite receiver to the pulpit. It isn't' going through the recorder. However, the audio goes from the satellite to an audio cabinet in the chapel. What is the 'time/shift' feature?

There is a problem. I've had several complaints from the Priesthood broadcast last night that they couldn't even watch it because it was so pronounced. I'm going to talk to the FM group and get the original audio/video contractor back to fix it.

Thanks for your help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If you pull up a menu on the DVD, does it show up in the chapel?

Are you able to playback a DVD to the chapel? If so, are there any switches you have to set?

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tpark23 wrote:There is a problem. I've had several complaints from the Priesthood broadcast last night that they couldn't even watch it because it was so pronounced. I'm going to talk to the FM group and get the original audio/video contractor back to fix it.
Assuming that no one has modified the original setup, that's probably the best plan.

tpark23

Post by tpark23 »

No, the DVD recorder is connected separately. It may be the projector, but I can't seem to adjust anything.

Thanks so much.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tpark23 wrote:It may be the projector, but I can't seem to adjust anything.
What make/model?

tpark23

Post by tpark23 »

Sony VPL EX50

Return to “General Discussions”