Site for temple registration?

Discussions about other Church websites
coloradotechie-p40

Site for temple registration?

Post by coloradotechie-p40 »

I ran across this today:

http://parkertempleday.org/

and it seemed like a good idea to help with temple day coordination, however I didn't know if there was a more secure site (https?) that the church has for this sort of thing.

Does the church have an official site (https, LDS Account login, etc) for implementing/coordinating stake temple trips?

Thanks~!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

coloradotechie wrote:I ran across this today:

and it seemed like a good idea to help with temple day coordination...
Hmm. That particular site seems a bit problematic in light of the official policy on Authorized Church Web Sites.
coloradotechie wrote:Does the church have an official site (https, LDS Account login, etc) for implementing/coordinating stake temple trips?
There is no official site for this purpose. However, there has been some discussion of a similar project on the thread Temple Caravan Administration System.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

coloradotechie wrote:I ran across this today:

and it seemed like a good idea to help with temple day coordination, however I didn't know if there was a more secure site (https?) that the church has for this sort of thing.

Does the church have an official site (https, LDS Account login, etc) for implementing/coordinating stake temple trips?

Thanks~!
Although this sounds like an interesting idea, my experience has shown that there's a significant number of ward/stake members who do not use the Internet, yet are active members of the ward.

It would be best if the Hp Group Ldr of each ward were put in charge of coordinating trips to the temple especially since that's one his primary responsibilities.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

coloradotechie wrote:Does the church have an official site (https, LDS Account login, etc) for implementing/coordinating stake temple trips?
The closest I've seen is a website for reservations for temple open house.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
coloradotechie-p40

so, what is the right way to do this?

So, what would be the right way to do this? The HP Group Leader could help manage/coordinate a ward temple trip, but what about a stake temple trip?

I ask because of the seeming logistical problem: if everyone in the stake shows up for the last few sessions of the day, then there won't be enough seats in the sessions.

By creating a site and asking people to "sign-up" for sessions (or other ordinances), the site database could track how many people signed up for a particular session and show about how many more available spots there are.

Stake members could then see, "Oh, the last 4 sessions of the day are really full, I should probably go in the morning". By providing a real-time information, it would help stake members make more informed decisions about what time to attend.

----------

How would you do this and also comply with the December 2004 letter about authorized web sites?
  • Would the stake president need to sign off on it?
  • Would it have to get approved through the church technology department so ensure it isn't hack-able?
  • Would you still use it, but just ask members to user personally identifiable information when registering?
  • Or perhaps you don't require people to register at all, it is completely anonymous and they just click on the buttons to "sign-up" for a session and just ask people to not click more than once... after each temple day you just reset all the counts?
Thanks~!
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

The procedure for this might depend upon the temple that you're going to. If the temple requires an advance reservation due to its size, then the temple reservation system would suffice to control how many were signed up.

If it's an "open system" where members just show up and hope for the best, then the HPGL in each ward could be responsible for a specified number of sign-ups. For instance if the temple had a capacity of 150 people/session you would divide that 150 limit up among the wards in the stake for each session you plan on attending.

The individual HPGL's in each ward would report to the High Councilor over Temple & Family History work. We've done it in this manner and it's worked fine.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
coloradotechie-p40

Techgy wrote:The procedure for this might depend upon the temple that you're going to. If the temple requires an advance reservation due to its size, then the temple reservation system would suffice to control how many were signed up.

Okay... so, is there a Temple Reservation System already in place, or do we have to create one ourselves with Stake President approval?

(I just read through the other "Caravan" thread, it seems like they wrote something, but there aren't any links).

Thank you!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

coloradotechie wrote:How would you do this and also comply with the December 2004 letter about authorized web sites?
I'd say have the stake president talk with the area rep.

I don't believe this is anything that anyone at the stake level can approve and be "legal". The policy said "no". It didn't say "it's ok if you comply with the following."
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

coloradotechie wrote:So, what would be the right way to do this? The HP Group Leader could help manage/coordinate a ward temple trip, but what about a stake temple trip?
The High Councilor for Temple & Family History work would be the logical choice to manage a stake run temple trip.

Before planning a temple trip, whether it is for a ward or a stake, the temple should be contacted to work out how they would like to handle a large group. Some temples will make block reservations. Others require that all reservations be done individually. Our temple has done a combination of the two. They will make block reservations until a certain date and then the remaining vacancies are opened to all patrons. People not showing for group events has soured the temple presidency for this method of supporting a group event. They now prefer individual reservations.
coloradotechie wrote:I ask because of the seeming logistical problem: if everyone in the stake shows up for the last few sessions of the day, then there won't be enough seats in the sessions.
Advance reservations is the best way to handle large organization temple trips.
coloradotechie wrote:By creating a site and asking people to "sign-up" for sessions (or other ordinances), the site database could track how many people signed up for a particular session and show about how many more available spots there are.
This methodology presumes the signup site for a stake or ward is tied into the temple reservation system. At this time I have not heard of this happening. In fact our temple only accepts reservations by calling in ahead or in advance in person. There is no internet connected system for patron signup.
coloradotechie wrote:Stake members could then see, "Oh, the last 4 sessions of the day are really full, I should probably go in the morning". By providing a real-time information, it would help stake members make more informed decisions about what time to attend.
This is done by calling the temple directly and in advance.

coloradotechie wrote:How would you do this and also comply with the December 2004 letter about authorized web sites?
This requires at a minimum area authority approval. For a single event this is highly unlikely. The most effective method of managing a large event is to have a single point of contact. For a ward event a member of the High Priest Group is the best first choice. For a stake event the most logical is the High Councilor for Temple and Family History work with points of contact in each ward's High Priest Group.
Adding in an online temple signup into a group trip may overly complicate the management. Not being tied into the temple reservation system adds to the complexity of the endeavor.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

coloradotechie wrote:
Techgy wrote:The procedure for this might depend upon the temple that you're going to. If the temple requires an advance reservation due to its size, then the temple reservation system would suffice to control how many were signed up.
Okay... so, is there a Temple Reservation System already in place, or do we have to create one ourselves with Stake President approval?
The term "temple reservation system" referred to the reservation system used by the particular temple you are working with, not any outside system to be created or used by a stake.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Other Websites”