Old FamilySearch on XP

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
RonaldF-p40

Old FamilySearch on XP

Post by RonaldF-p40 »

Our local FHC has obtained a donated HP with Windows XP. When I attempt to install FamilySearch 2.27 on it, it gives an error of “windows operating system not recognized”. Any suggestions on overcoming the problem?
ClarkeGJ

FHC Technology

Post by ClarkeGJ »

You might try posting a message to fhctech.org The're pretty good on understanding what to do with rersources in the FH Centers.
Gordon Clarke
FamilySearch DevNet manager
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The problem is the old installer doesn't understand the response when it asks Windows what version it is.

You've got two choices:

1) Copy the C:\PAS directory from a working machine to the new machine.

2) Call FH support and ask for the new install CD that does work under XP.

Actually, there may be a 3rd choice: Configure XP to "lie" to the install program as to what version it is. Sorry, I don't have the details on that.
RonaldF-p40

Post by RonaldF-p40 »

Thank you for the responses. I found detailed instructions late last night on the fhctech site by going to their site map. Great information there.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

RussellHltn wrote:Actually, there may be a 3rd choice: Configure XP to "lie" to the install program as to what version it is. Sorry, I don't have the details on that.

To get windows xp to lie about the OS you right click on the application and hit Properties. Go to the Compatability Section and check "Run this program in compatability mode for:". Select the OS you want windows to report and you are on your way. (Also it does try to run the program using the system calls of that OS.

In Vista this is the same process.
- David
leejj

Post by leejj »

The 2006 FHC Image should already have that and TempleReady preinstalled on it. That is the easiest way to get it installed correctly.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

konglong wrote:The 2006 FHC Image should already have that and TempleReady preinstalled on it. That is the easiest way to get it installed correctly.
Except that image isn't set up for use where you have the CDs stored on a server.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Though wouldn't that be just a setting change away? Like mapping it to the K network drive instead of the D CD drive?
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:Though wouldn't that be just a setting change away? Like mapping it to the K network drive instead of the D CD drive?
Well, each set of CDs become a "drive", so it's not quite that simple. I guess you could do it by hacking thee PASETUP.INI, but it's easier to run the setup program. But to run the program you have to get around the fact that the original version doesn't like WinXP which is what started this.

If you've got FS (DOS) already setup on another machine, just copy the C:\PAS directory and give everyone full rights. That's all you need. (DOS programs don't have any of those silly DLLs that have to be installed or registry entries, etc.) But then you've got the Expanded (extended?) memory issue which may or may not be solvable for that motherboard.

One detail: About the only thing really needed out of the old DOS FS is the Scottish Records. Everything is can be found updated and free on the Internet. The CDs for IGI and IGI Addendum are required for TempleReady, but I'd recommend you use the Windows version of that program.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

RussellHltn wrote:One detail: About the only thing really needed out of the old DOS FS is the Scottish Records. Everything is can be found updated and free on the Internet. The CDs for IGI and IGI Addendum are required for TempleReady, but I'd recommend you use the Windows version of that program.

Though the TempleReady is so outdated it can only verify work that was done long ago. What the patrons should do is verify and update their records at home on the website and then use TempleReady. Which is actually what the people at the Family History Centers say to do anyway.

Though you do have to use TempleReady for submitting names to the temple.
- David

Return to “Family History Centers”