Adding text and images to a live stream

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
mrusson-p40

Adding text and images to a live stream

Post by mrusson-p40 »

Dear group,
I have spent the better part of the day searching the internet for some gizmo that will allow us to insert text and possibly images onto our stream as it leaves the stake center. We will be broadcasting from our stake center to three other buildings in April, and we were asked if we could add text for hymns or other items such as images.
I ran across this item: http://www.ambery.com/pcvgatovimeg.html

I called them to ask about it since our camera is a Sony EVI-D70 that we use to capture the video. Since the camera is S-video, I wanted to be sure that we could take the signal from the camera, run it into this device and then out to the encoding PC. I was assured that it will. I also verified that the device can be controlled by either another PC like a laptop to inject the images or text, or run from the same PC that does the encoding. The answer was yes. It can run on either.

So, I am going to bite the bullet and buy one. I will report back to you after I do. I want to be able to give some useful information about it for others who may be looking for a solution to text overlay while encoding.

As a side note, our current setup is:
Intel Core 2 Quad, 6 gig of ram, Osprey 210 capture card w/ integrated analog stereo sound, Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder streaming to a commercial Flash streaming service (will give info if requested by email), Sony EVI-D70 camera using S-Video, VISCA control cable running the Sony EVI-D70 demo control software.

That pretty much sums it up. The stream is received at each meetinghouse with a laptop, a projector and an EJ-10 for connection to the sound system in each building. Audio backup is done by injecting the sound into an EJ-10 at the Stake Center with a wireless hearing impaired device and then dialing into a free conference call service which the three meeting houses can dial into.

I am soliciting prayers from everyone that it works....:D:eek:
heyring

Interested in outcome

Post by heyring »

I am very interested in knowing how the text overlay works.

You mentioned that we could email you to ask - but I didn't see your email anywhere in the message, or on your profile.

Thanks,

Hank Eyring
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

heyring wrote:I didn't see your email anywhere in the message, or on your profile.
Click on his name. In the drop down box, select Send a Private Message to mrusson. Write and then Submit Message.

But hopefully he will report back and tell all of us how it worked.
densign-p40

Post by densign-p40 »

While we are still building our system and doing research, we just purchased a PANASONIC WJ-AVE5 DIGITAL AUDIO VIDEO MIXER to mix video from 2 camera's, sound and with the addition of a keyboard is supposed to be able to add titles. We haven't had a chance to try it yet, we hope it gives us the flexibility to identify speakers and if not use the title function for hymns, we could use PowerPoint for the words of the hymn and overlay on the video feed. Something you might want to consider. We went the with the Panasonic as it had both the video and audio mixer, but has less ports. The Videonics MX-1 seemed to be very popular as well, but was video only, but had more ports for mixing and was less expensive. The panasonic goes for $200-$250 on ebay plus shipping. I'll post more on our success or challenges as we move forward.

Question back for you...we are still trying to decide what camera to get and my biggest concern is the control of the pan/zoom of the Sony. I was of the understanding that you needed a separate control panel for the camera. Is that not true? You mentioned you are using the VISCA control cable with Sony software. Would appreciate hearing how that is working for you as well as the deatails of your audio backup.

Thanks,

dhensign@gmail.com
Paulbb1

Sony EVI D-70 - Osprey 210

Post by Paulbb1 »

We have the camera mounted permanently in the chapel. We take both outputs, s-video and component, back to the satellite cabinet where we also have the Internet connection. The component feeds the camera input device in the cabinet for the building and s-video to the Osprey 210 s-video dongle. This is via a Cat5e cable and balms to capture card sound dongle. Sound is from the building sound system taken from just before it goes into the camera input device for building. The video input is from the composite side of camera. Camera feeds both signals all the time.

The video works. The sound was from a VCR but now will be as described above. We were over driving the sound and this is first step in improving it. We are hoping that the Osprey software will allow us to reduce the input sound level. If not a attenuator will be used.

We just pulled another Cat5 cable from camera to cabinet to allow RS422/VISCA control of camera. This will be similar to your setup. We have ordered adapter that takes RS422 to DB9 serial or USB ports. Software drivers included. Plan on trying Sony SW first. Will report how that goes.

Arlan Beebe
abeebe@tc3net.com
Arlan Beebe
Ann Arbor Stake
michaelfish

Text over video

Post by michaelfish »

We use a Videonics MX-1 to superimpose Powerpoint text over video. The MX-1 has a built-in chroma key feature which allows the background of any video (PowerPoint hymns in this case) to be replaced with live video. The result it PowerPoint text superimposed on top of the live camera video. The MX-1 also has the ability to screen (see through) the border under text and appear just like General Conference text.

Oh, and yes, the main purpose of the MX-1 is to connect up to 4 video (Camera/DVD/VHS/laptop, etc.) and dissolve between them or use one of the hundreds of wipe patterns.

If than isn't enough, there's stereo audio-follow-video feature as well.

I haven't seen any unit that comes close to the features and quality of this device for $300 - $350 (eBay).

At our Stake Conference last week, we cut and dissolved between 3 cameras and superimposed both hymns and speaker's names on the screen with professional results.
JamesBrown-p40

Hope to try a Roland Edirol V4

Post by JamesBrown-p40 »

I hope to be able to try out a Roland Edirol V4 to do both camera switching and text overlay at our upcoming stake conference. The Edirol includes both chroma- and lumi-key (makes it easy to feed a powerpoint for lower thirds) as well as picture in picture options. It can be configured for presentation mode (live events) or for production work. It has 2 s-video in and 4 composite in (two channels have both s-video and composite). It also has multiple program outputs (2 composite, 1 s-video), plus a preview output.

The one thing it is missing is the option to do a quad display on the preview monitor (so you can see all 4 inputs at once). As it is, you either have to split each input to an independent monitor or you have to switch between the various inputs (on the preview selector) to see what is going on.

If we get to use one, I'll update the group on how it worked.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

JamesBrown wrote:As it is, you either have to split each input to an independent monitor or you have to switch between the various inputs (on the preview selector) to see what is going on.
Video should not be split, as video levels will be decreased. Use a video distribution amplifier for more video outputs. Some professional video equipment incorporate video output loop-through capability and termination switches (75 ohms).

As far as monitoring multiple cameras or video sources, have you considered purchasing an inexpensive Quad Color Processor with passive video loop-through outputs?

Check out the Ultrak KQ7340CU quad processor. It features video in/out, as well as quad and full-screen monitoring. They can be purchased (eBay) for less than $30.

Best of luck.
BobNesbit

Re: Adding text and images to a live stream

Post by BobNesbit »

This is very old info.
Now this is done easily and free at any chapel with a PC, camera, zoom and OBS (free download).
Hymn text is done by using a second PC to supply the text 2-4 lines at a time to a lower third box in OBS. You have to manually step the hymn text in powerpoint.
It's easy to add speaker names by using a text item in OBS.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Adding text and images to a live stream

Post by Mikerowaved »

No need for a 2nd PC. I've been using this tool described by Scott Fichter. It's really slick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDQ193YXU_U
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”