Mission map

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
pburt2006

Mission map

Post by pburt2006 »

I am a parent of a missionary in the Brazil Londrina mission. I am trying to get a good map of the mission to make a wall map, but the mission office was only able to send me a photo of a map they had of the stakes in their mission, and the boundaries seem totally different from the little line drawing that came with the mission information. Is there a good source of good quality maps of the up-to-date mission boundaries?
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

you can get the mission boundaries from beta-maps.lds.org
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

pburt wrote:I am a parent of a missionary in the Brazil Londrina mission. I am trying to get a good map of the mission to make a wall map, but the mission office was only able to send me a photo of a map they had of the stakes in their mission, and the boundaries seem totally different from the little line drawing that came with the mission information. Is there a good source of good quality maps of the up-to-date mission boundaries?
I don't know if it will make a good wall map or not but with beta maps you can see the boundaries of the missions (after logging in).
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

ryan jones wrote:I don't know if it will make a good wall map or not but with beta maps you can see the boundaries of the missions (after logging in).

How can that help these missionary parents? I assume that their experience with beta-maps would be the same as mine: When I log in, the only mission boundaries I see are those of the mission in which my own ward belongs. (As a Church employee, I expect that your privileges are more general, so after logging in you can see more.)

Never mind. I tried searching for Brazil, checked the box for mission boundaries, and they do appear.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

boomerbubba wrote:How can that help these missionary parents? I assume that their experience with beta-maps would be the same as mine: When I log in, the only mission boundaries I see are those of the mission in which my own ward belongs. (As a Church employee, I expect that your privileges are more general, so after logging in you can see more.)
I think any member can find mission boundaries just fine, as long as they log in. Here's what I did:
  • Sign in to beta maps
  • Select the Find Places tab
  • In the "Enter the name or ID of an LDS place" section, enter "Brazil Londrina Mission"
  • Click "Search"
  • One mission result is returned; click on Missions and then "Brazil Londrina Mission"
  • The map of Brazil is displayed, zoomed in on the Brazil Londrina Mission, with the borders of the mission displayed in blue.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

I stand corrected on the beta-maps site. This feature is pretty slick!

It does not seem well suited to create a wall map. I can't think of a good way to do that automatically, but a low-tech solution might be just to acquire a commercially published map and trace the boundaries. But aside from the benefits that a wall map might offer, for interactive tracking of the missionary's progress in detail, the parents might really prefer to zoom and pan this web site, which also shows details such as meetinghouses.
pburt2006

Post by pburt2006 »

Thanks to all. I will try this when I get home and find my member number.
ThompsonMV

Post by ThompsonMV »

Okay, very nice. Couldn't find a mission map till now. How would anyone know this exists without this forum?
Poqui-p40

Post by Poqui-p40 »

gotta be in tune...
pburt2006

Post by pburt2006 »

It works wonderfully. Thanks, everybody.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”