Missionary fund

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wrigjef

Missionary fund

Post by wrigjef »

I recently reviewed a reconciliation summary that listed a ending balance in the missionary fund (as opposed to the ward missionary fund). The CUFS shows a 0 balance (since that account is swept) but the local MLS shows a positive balance. Can anyone tell me how something like this can happen or how to fix it? I tried entering a transfer but MLS will not let me transfer out of Missionary, only Ward Missionary.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:I recently reviewed a reconciliation summary that listed a ending balance in the missionary fund (as opposed to the ward missionary fund). The CUFS shows a 0 balance (since that account is swept) but the local MLS shows a positive balance. Can anyone tell me how something like this can happen or how to fix it? I tried entering a transfer but MLS will not let me transfer out of Missionary, only Ward Missionary.
The CUFS will show the total of Missionary and Ward Missionary. But you're right that you should transfer your local balance of Missionary to Ward Missionary. The steps for doing this are in this post.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Another option is to run a detailed income and expense report on Missionary, find all the original transactions, and change the category in them all to Ward Missionary.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crislapi wrote:Another option is to run a detailed income and expense report on Missionary, find all the original transactions, and change the category in them all to Ward Missionary.
Perhaps, but in my experience, transactions in the Missionary category are from the distant past -- generally they came from the transition from FIS to MLS. In that case, there is simply a balance forward, and no transactions are available for changing the category.

But if there are indeed recent transactions (in the last 3 years), then it's good advice to change the category.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
murraydavidgeorge2

Post by murraydavidgeorge2 »

My Problem is just the opposite. I have a negative balance in the missionary category and would like to zero it out with funds from our ward missionary balance. Would I be right in assuming that I would just do the opposite as what was recommended in this post:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?p=25575

Thanks...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

BroMurray wrote:My Problem is just the opposite. I have a negative balance in the missionary category and would like to zero it out with funds from our ward missionary balance. Would I be right in assuming that I would just do the opposite as what was recommended in this post:
Yes, just use negative numbers in place of positive numbers and vice versa. The same process should work just fine.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”