Wireless USB to Webcast Receiver

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
WE8U-p40

Wireless USB to Webcast Receiver

Post by WE8U-p40 »

I am excited about the Church's Webcast system. I searched the forum about this issue, but either entered the wrong string or no one has discussed this issue before. Thanks in advance.

We received our Webcast package this week and upon inspection, I realized that the receiver is only set up for a cat5. Is it possible to plug in a USB wireless adapter? We have our building set up on wireless and I would rather not have to call the contractor back in to string a Cat5 line to the router via Chapel.
Adam J Tipton
Ontario OR Stake
Tech Spec
:cool:
WE8U
campbellcs-p40

Post by campbellcs-p40 »

Adam,

There is a way to use a wireless USB adapter, but the process is complicated and not recommended. Infact, using wireless for streaming or receiving is not recommended. The few experiences we have had trying to use wireless have been pretty bad (and that is putting it lightly).

The quickest fix would be to run a cable from your drop location to the stand where the receiver would be located and then just tape over the top of the cable.

If you absolutely need to use the wireless connection, any laptop can be used as a receiver. Just open Windows Media Player and navigate to the url the webcaster is publishing to.
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

there are also ethernet to wireless adapters that should work
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
Hijt

Post by Hijt »

WE8U wrote:"We received our Webcast package this week and upon inspection, I realized that the receiver is only set up for a cat5. Is it possible to plug in a USB wireless adapter? We have our building set up on wireless and I would rather not have to call the contractor back in to string a Cat5 line to the router via Chapel.
Stringing the cable from the chapel to the video room can be done by running the cat5 cable through the air duct. This is usually in back of the chapel where you would normally have the camera. Mot of our newer buildings have under the ground return air that terminates in the air shaft at the back.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Ground Rod wrote:running the cat5 cable through the air duct.
There may be local fire code involved. In particular, use of Plenum cable may be required.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”