FHC new PC installation hung

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Thrasonic wrote:I looked at the discs that came with the Dell 780 and they're all Dell discs - I can't find one that's a church disc.

Any thoughts or ideas on where to start now would be great. Thanks in advance for the help.
Re-imaging the hard drive is your best option at this point since you will not be able to get the Sophos security suite installed. Rebooting the computer in the middle of the deployment install creates some registry problems that prevents installing Sophos from the LANDesk software deployment portal.

There are three discs that should have come with the computer. Two of them are OEM Windows distribution discs in windowed paper sleeves. One is for Windows XP SP3 and the other is Windows 7. The third disc is in a white cardboard tri-fold sealed sleeve. I don't recall exactly what the labeling is on the cardboard sleeve but it gives the impression that it is only program software. It is a bootable image DVD that will return the computer to the same state as when you first received it.

Place the image DVD disc in the DVD drive and turn the computer on. Immediately after turning on the computer you will need to go into the bios to set the DVD as the first device in the boot order. After setting the boot order continue booting the computer from the DVD. Just follow the prompts and it will re-image the hard drive and continue the system installation as before. This time when you get to the FamilySearch 2.72 install and it appears to hang follow the procedure I mentioned in post #3 of this thread.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
harjon

Post by harjon »

Thanks for the reply JD. I'll give this a try and let you know how it goes. Hopefully I overlooked the DVD that was supposed to have come with the PC.
harjon

Post by harjon »

Well, I checked and found no CD or DVD from the church in all of the boxes. I guess I'll have to order it from SLC. What number do I call? The typical tech support number I've used for clerk PC issues or a different one?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Thrasonic wrote:Well, I checked and found no CD or DVD from the church in all of the boxes. I guess I'll have to order it from SLC. What number do I call? The typical tech support number I've used for clerk PC issues or a different one?
The family history center support number is different from clerk support. Call 1-866-406-1830. You may be told to contact Dell support for the missing CD. That number is 1-877-539-3355.

The restore CD does not say it is a Church CD. It says it is from Dell. It is a white cardboard quad-fold sleeve with a one inch blue stripe on right edge. It is labeled as Dell P/N OGJ8V4 in a large (16 pt?) font. In a smaller font (9 pt?) and just below the larger Dell part number is this line: US-OGJ8V4-70020-9CM-D0A1. (This is the part number for a replacement) The quad-fold sleeve is sealed. On the inside it says:
Dell Custom Factory Integration CD Restore
This is the Dell CFI CD Restore Disk
This disk is to be used to restore this system's drive to its original state.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
harjon

Post by harjon »

Thanks for the quick reply. If the disc isn't a church disc but instead a Dell disc it's likely I have it. My bad - all this time I thought you were referring to a disc provided by the church. I'll check it out at home tonight and get back to you.
harjon

Post by harjon »

Yep, that did it. The disc is a Dell disc and it did the trick. Thanks for all your help.

Return to “Family History Centers”