Signature Card

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
Resmith-p40

Signature Card

Post by Resmith-p40 »

Has anyone ever had their ward executive secretary on the signature card (signing checks)?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Resmith wrote:Has anyone ever had their ward executive secretary on the signature card (signing checks)?
I've never personally been in a ward that had done that, but the MLS Help under "Signature Card" says that signers:
... generally will include the following:
  • Bishop
  • Bishopric counselors
  • Ward clerk
  • Clerk assigned to finances
  • Executive secretary
So it's certainly within policy. Of course, one of the bishopric members must provide one of the signatures on each check.
thedunsons

YES! but with care

Post by thedunsons »

Until recently, I had not. Part of our internal QA/QC was to always have a member of the bishopric (BP, 1C, 2C) and either the Ward Clerk or Finance Clerk sign. I used to reserve that 6th space on the card for the Membership Clerk for those just-in-case scenario's. However, we now have a Membership Clerk who wants nothing to do with any other clerk responsibilities.

As a former Finance Clerk, Ward Clerk, Finance Clerk again (moved), and now Executive Secretary, I felt ok assuming these responsibilities. However, the understanding is that it would be an unusual situation where I would sign a check. Only in an immediate type circumstance where a Clerk were not available, but was certainly aware.

The Bishop (and no one else) reviews all expenditures independent of the check writing via a separate report (title escapes me).

Ultimately, it is up to each ward to create an internal policy. Hope this helps.

-mike
thedunsons

does a B'ric member have to sign each check?

Post by thedunsons »

Alan_Brown wrote:Of course, one of the bishopric members must provide one of the signatures on each check.
Where does it state this? This is for my own edification. It is my understanding that for the check to be legally written, it must only have two signatures of persons on the signature card. I do not see in the handbook where it states that a Bishopric member must be one of the two signatures (looking in the Finance section, specifically p157 "Managing Stake and Ward Checking Accounts"). I also don't see anything in the clerk wiki or posted policy letters, although these sources are often lacking.

I believe that a Bishopric member should sign each check, but that it is a matter of local policy rather than official guidance from SLC. I do not have MLS access at the moment, as I am on travel. Perhaps it offers something more?

Much thanks for anyone who can provide clarification on this.

-mike
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Resmith wrote:Has anyone ever had their ward executive secretary on the signature card (signing checks)?
In every ward where I have lived, the executive secretary has been on the signature card. He was usually the last to sign a check, but could if one of the clerks or counselors was not available.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

relaxmosphere wrote:Where does it state this? This is for my own edification.
This is stated in the MLS Help under "Checks". It states
Checks

Two authorized signers. Two authorized signers sign each check. One must be a member of the bishopric (ward checks) or stake presidency (stake checks).
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
thedunsons

thanks!

Post by thedunsons »

Thanks for the clarification from MLS! It is surprising the amount of information available in that help file that you just won't find anywhere else.

-mike
-mike
kinggrunt-p40

Post by kinggrunt-p40 »

The MLS help file says its OK. In our stake the Stake Presidency introduced a only bishop, and 1st and 2nd councilor could sign checks.

So even thou MLS says its fine, and it sure is, you might just want to check if your Stake have their own guidelines on it.

I have never known, after all the years of being Ward Clerk, the exec sec signing checks.
Eric Werny-p40

Signers

Post by Eric Werny-p40 »

As ward clerk, I have crossed trained my two assistant clerks. Before a bill/invoice/expense is paid it is approved by the organization and the Bishop.
Then as clerks cut checks and insure proper delivery, getting receipts for all expenses. And then as a cross check the Bishop signs off on the expense report.

Return to “General Discussions”