E-mail address confusion - LDS Account/LUWS

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
dmaynes

E-mail address confusion - LDS Account/LUWS

Post by dmaynes »

I don't know if this has been reported. And, I don't know if others have this problem. I am the designated ward website administrator.

My registered e-mail address for LDS Account is different than my registered e-mail address on the LUWS profile. Both e-mail addresses are displayed when I click "Update Profile."

I have noticed at least two distinct problems. There might be more.

1- A calendar event notification is sent to my LDS Account e-mail address, not to my LUWS e-mail address. I would think that the notification should be sent to the LUWS e-mail address.

2- When I send an e-mail to myself, it says from: LDS Account e-mail address to: LUWS e-mail address. It does the same thing if I click on any member's e-mail icon on the regular membership screen (BLUE background). I have made my LUWS e-mail address visible, but not my LDS Account e-mail address. This seems rather strange to me. It also appears to violate the guideline for visible e-mail addresses.

3- When I received broadcast messages from other administrators, the messages are being sent to my LDS Account e-mail address and not my LUWS e-mail address.

4- When I click "Registered Users" from administrator mode (GREEN background), my e-mail address that is displayed is the LDS Account e-mail address.

5- If I click the "Feedback" link, I am shown a submittal form with a link for the administrator. When I click the link for the administrator, my name is shown with my LDS Account e-mail address. The LUWS account e-mail address is not shown.

Is there a fix up program that needs to be run on my ward?

Am I confused with the way the e-mail addresses are used? I thought that all LUWS interactions should use the LUWS e-mail address.

Thanks,
Dennis
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

dmaynes wrote:I don't know if this has been reported. And, I don't know if others have this problem. I am the designated ward website administrator.

My registered e-mail address for LDS Account is different than my registered e-mail address on the LUWS profile. Both e-mail addresses are displayed when I click "Update Profile."

1- A calendar event notification is sent to my LDS Account e-mail address, not to my LUWS e-mail address. I would think that the notification should be sent to the LUWS e-mail address.

2- When I send an e-mail to myself, it says from: LDS Account e-mail address to: LUWS e-mail address. It does the same thing if I click on any member's e-mail icon on the regular membership screen (BLUE background). I have made my LUWS e-mail address visible, but not my LDS Account e-mail address. This seems rather strange to me. It also appears to violate the guideline for visible e-mail addresses.

3- When I received broadcast messages from other administrators, the messages are being sent to my LDS Account e-mail address and not my LUWS e-mail address.

4- When I click "Registered Users" from administrator mode (GREEN background), my e-mail address that is displayed is the LDS Account e-mail address.

5- If I click the "Feedback" link, I am shown a submittal form with a link for the administrator. When I click the link for the administrator, my name is shown with my LDS Account e-mail address. The LUWS account e-mail address is not shown.

Am I confused with the way the e-mail addresses are used? I thought that all LUWS interactions should use the LUWS e-mail address.

Thanks,
Dennis
My ward's LUWS is like this too. I noticed it after they tried to tie LUWS, MLS, and LDSAccount together for the purpose of populating e-mail addresses in MLS. I reported it, but don't remember hearing anything back. I've also reported it somewhere on this forum, although I don't recall where.

It looks like they crossed a couple fields when they were tying everything together. Seems like a simple and honest mistake, but I'm not sure if the fix is as simple.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

dmaynes wrote:My registered e-mail address for LDS Account is different than my registered e-mail address on the LUWS profile. Both e-mail addresses are displayed when I click "Update Profile."

Everything you describe is the way it is planned to work - for now. This is a change from the way the LUWS behaved in the past. Not all LUWS e-mail activity is the same. When you go to the update profile page you will see there are two e-mail addresses used by the LUWS. The first is the LDS Account primary e-mail address and the second is the ward directory e-mail address.

The LDS Account e-mail address is tied to your loggon credentials and can be different from the e-mail address you want displayed in directories. For non-directory related e-mail activity your LDS Account primary e-mail address will be used. Administrator functions, or activities, will use the LDS Account primary e-mail address. For directory related e-mail activity your ward directory e-mail address will be used.

Applying this functionality to the situations you described the results are as expected and planned. Situations 1, 3, 4, and 5 are administrative functions and will therefore use the LDS Account primary e-mail address. Situation 2 is a combination of administrative and directory. The administrator sending the message will have his LDS Account primary e-mail address in the "from" field while the recipient will have their ward directory e-mail address in the "to" field.

I agree with you about the LDS Account primary e-mail being a private address that should not be visible to others. Since the LDS Account has both a primary and secondary e-mail address, the secondary could be used in those administrative functions with the LUWS and keep the primary e-mail address private.

Similar concerns about the use of the LDS Account e-mail address were addressed in other threads. One of those was the LDS Account E-mail to MLS thread. I am hoping they are working on these issues.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

dmaynes wrote:
After making my last post it became apprent to me that when you click on a member's e-mail icon in the membership directory it should show the ward directory e-mail addresss, if different from the LDS Account primary e-mail address. If it is not then this should be reported. I have not been able to confirm this is what is happening since many registered users have not made any changes to their profiles in my stake to reflect a different e-mail address for the ward directory from the LDS Account primary e-mail address.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

jdlessley wrote:Everything you describe is the way it is planned to work - for now. This is a change from the way the LUWS behaved in the past. Not all LUWS e-mail activity is the same. When you go to the update profile page you will see there are two e-mail addresses used by the LUWS. The first is the LDS Account primary e-mail address and the second is the ward directory e-mail address.
I was recently released as the ward website administrator (our ward hasn't called a new administrator, yet). I created a special e-mail account for use by the administrator so that the members could see the communications coming from that account and they would know it was an "official" ward communication. I guess that I should not have worried about this, because when the new administrator changes, his or her LDS Account e-mail address will be the one that is used, not the special LUWS account that I created. This will be true, even when I turn that account over to my replacement.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”